Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

*All recipes on this blog (unless otherwise noted) are Martha Stewart's from the Everyday Food Cookbooks here and here, they are not my own. If other than this I will post links to the recipes or indicate that they are originals*

Friday, May 7, 2010

Spring is HERE!

Well even if the weather doesn't show it, I FEEL IT!  Spring is here!  To celebrate, I bought some in season ingredients at the good food store, including rhubarb.  This is not something that I would normally buy or cook with, which is what this blog is all about.  Even better...it was on SALE!  So I made pork chops with a rhubarb/cherry sauce. I didn't use as much rhubarb as the recipe called for, because I was a little scared, but I think it turned out great and so did my critic (aka boyfriend aka Logan).   This is a great mix of sweet and savory and a perfect spring dish.  I served this with snap peas and a warm white bean salad, which were both delicious as well.  The white bean salad made a lot and I had it for lunch today with some whole wheat spaghetti and a little Parmesan, very versatile dish.
ALSO last night was a momentous occasion in my kitchen...all 4 burners were used at the same time!!! This is a first in my kitchen!  The only other time this happens is at my mom's house during a holiday meal.  Even with all the cooking I do, this is a rare occurrence in my world! :)
Ok onto the recipes...
Pork Chops with Rhubarb-Cherry Sauce
1/2cup dried cherries
1 TBS balsamic vinegar
1/4cup hot water
1 tsp plus 2TBS olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
8-10 oz rhubarb (cut into 1/2 in pieces...about 2 cups)
3 TBS sugar (splenda)
pinch ground nutmeg
coarse salt and fresh ground pepper
4 pork loin chops
Combine cherries with vinegar and hot water in a small bowl, let stand about 10 min to soften.  
Meanwhile in a saucepan, heat 1tsp olive oil and cook onion until softened, about 10min.  When cooked add cherry mixture, rhubarb and sugar; bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer about 10 min.  Stir in nutmeg, salt and pepper.
Generously season both sides of the pork chops with salt and pepper.  Heat remaining 2 TBS olive oil in a skillet.  Cook pork until browned and cooked through.  3-4 min per side, depending on how thick they are.  Serve topped with warm rhubarb sauce. Serves 4. 
Snap Peas with Mint
1TBS butter 
1lb trimmed snap peas
1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh mint (I only used about 1/8 cup)
salt and pepper
Bring 1 cup water and butter to boil, add peas; cover and cook until bright green.  Remove lid; reduce heat, continue cooking until peas are crisp and the water has evaporated.  ( I didn't wait..too impatient, just drained them).  Toss with mint and season with S&P.  

Warm White Bean Salad
1TBS olive oil
1/2 small red onion, diced
2 med carrots, thinly sliced
1 med red bell pepper, diced
1 garlic clove
1 can cannellini beans, drained/rinsed
1tsp grated lemon zest
2tsp fresh lemon juice
Heat oil, add onion and carrots; cook until onion is browned, about 5 min.  Add pepper and garlic; cook until pepper is tender, about 3 min.  Stir in beans, lemon zest and 1 cup water and season with S&P; bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to a simmer; cover and cook until beans have absorbed most of the liquid, about 10 min...took me a little longer.  Stir in lemon juice and season with S&P again.  Serves 4.  


AND FOR THE FINISHED PRODUCT...notice the steam...mmmm!

And another happy customer :)

Logan's Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK! PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT!