Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

*All recipes on this blog (unless otherwise noted) are Martha Stewart's from the Everyday Food Cookbooks here and here, they are not my own. If other than this I will post links to the recipes or indicate that they are originals*

Thursday, May 27, 2010

More Mexican!!! Stuffed Poblanos


So we have been trying to have at least one night a week that our meal doesn't revolve around some kind of meat.  Mainly because meat is expensive and also because well sometimes when I think about it, its kinda nasty how much meat we eat in the US.  However, this does not stop me from consuming it about 6/7 days a week...so anyway just trying to cut down a little at least.  This recipe was really good!  A little time consuming when you take into account the prep and the cooking time, but well worth it in my opinion.  Now usually I don't let Logan into the kitchen, YES I will admit I am a bit of a control freak in this department.  But this time I needed help, we needed to get this into the oven and I can't believe it but I asked him to step into MY kitchen.  And do you know what? It was actually really nice to have the help, I will admit I was a bit uptight at first...he wasn't chopping the onions quite to my specifications, but I chilled out and let him do it and it was actually really fun to do it together.  DON'T get me wrong, it's not like I'm making this a habit or anything :)  But I enjoyed it for this night!  Thanks Logs for all the help, you're the best, even if you don't chop onions as fast as I'd like you to! :)  Anyway we loved this vegetarian meal, it was surprisingly filling and perfectly spicy, I will definitely repeat this meal someday when I finish this blog challenge. ENJOY!

1 can (28oz) whole peeled tomatoes
1 jalapeño, minced 
2 small onions, coarsely chopped
3 garlic cloves, 2 crushed, 1 minced
S&P
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
1 tsp cumin
3/4 cup water
4 large poblano chiles, halved lengthwise, ribs and seeds removed

Preheat oven to 425.  In a blender (I had to use in immersion blender because we don't have a regular one) puree tomatoes with their juice, jalapeño, half of the onions, and the crushed garlic until smooth; season with salt.  Pour sauce into a baking dish and spread evenly to cover.  

In a bowl combine beans, cornmeal, 1/2 cup cheese, remaining onion, minced garlic, cumin and water; season with S&P. 

Dividing evenly, stuff poblano halves with bean mixture; place on top of sauce in the baking dish.  Sprinkle poblanos with remaining cheese, cover dish tightly with aluminum foil.

Bake until peppers are tender, about 45 min.  Uncover, and continue to cook until sauce is thickened slightly and cheese is browned, about 10-15 min.  Let cool 10 min before serving.  

Logan Rating: ****

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK! PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT!