Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

*All recipes on this blog (unless otherwise noted) are Martha Stewart's from the Everyday Food Cookbooks here and here, they are not my own. If other than this I will post links to the recipes or indicate that they are originals*

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Back to normal...Beef Bulgogi

This is a Korean dish that I've only ever had at a Korean restaurant in Bozeman, but it was extremely easy and quick to make at home.  It tasted just like I remember, but felt much lighter when served with lettuce cups.  Sorry about the jumble of posts recently, we had a couple of house guests back to back.  So we did a lot more eating out than usual and it just through off my cooking routine a bit.  I'm back at it now and am ready to tackle some more recipes.  This one was very delicious and it really was fast.  We got home at 7 last night and from start to finish this only took 30min, which is always nice, especially when you are getting a late start.  I thought it was interesting that although this dish is traditionally served with lettuce leaves, many Korean  restaurants serve it with either noodles or rice.  I prefer lettuce personally, feels MUCH healthier!  ENJOY!
Beef Bulgogi
1 1/2 lbs rib-eye steak (I used a flank steak, way cheaper and still delicious, also I only use enough meat for the two of us in order to save money so I halved the meat as this recipe serves 4)
1/4 cup soy sauce
1TBS hot chile sesame oil (add dash of red pepper flakes to 1TBS toasted sesame oil)
2TBS dark brown sugar
6 garlic cloves
1TBS fresh ginger
2 medium red onions (red or yellow is fine)
1 green bell pepper
4 tsp vegetable oil (or olive oil)
1 small head Boston lettuce (I used romaine)

Freeze beef for 20 min; transfer to a clean work surface.  Slice diagonally into 1/8 in thick strips.  In a small bowl whisk together soy sauce, sesame oil, brown sugar, garlic and ginger.  Place onion and peppers in a small bowl; toss with half the soy marinade.  Toss steak in remaining marinade, let stand for 15min.

Heat 2tsp of oil in skillet.  Add onions and peppers; cook until softened.  Transfer to plate, wipe skillet clean with paper towel. Heat remaining oil and cook meat until browned.  Add onion mixture and heat through.
Serves 4




I'm still playing with the layout as I post these blogs...it's hard to get them to look right sometimes.  
Logan Rating: ****

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK! PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT!