Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

*All recipes on this blog (unless otherwise noted) are Martha Stewart's from the Everyday Food Cookbooks here and here, they are not my own. If other than this I will post links to the recipes or indicate that they are originals*

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Orange Cornmeal Cake...NOT a disaster!

I can't believe it!  I made it through my first real baking experience unscathed...and the cake tastes pretty good too!  I'm usually NOT a baker at all, so I figured this recipe would be a disaster.  Little did I know, if I just use some measuring cups and a timer things tend to work out in my favor.  So here it is...my first baking adventure, with many more to come.  I must admit this was pretty easy...just mix up the batter and put it in the oven...not much to it.  But still an accomplishment for ME!  I thought for sure I would open the oven and the cake would cave in on itself...but NO...it was NOT a disaster. :-)

1/2 cup olive oil, plus more for pan
(if I had some I would have substituted apple sauce here, I've heard it tastes the same with WAY less calories...next time)
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour (I did 1/2 cup white and 3/4 cup whole wheat)
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
zest of 1 orange
2 large eggs
1 cup sugar, plus 1/3 cup for topping (I used splenda)
1/2 cup dry white wine or orange juice (I used OJ fresh squeezed)

Preheat oven to 375.  Coat pan with oil.  Whisk flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and orange zest together.  In another bowl whisk together oil, eggs, 1 cup sugar and wine/OJ until smooth.  Add flour mixture and whisk gently to combine.
Pour batter into prepared pan; sprinkle evenly with remaining sugar.  Bake until cake begins to pull away from pan, about 35-40 min.
Cool in pan 20 min.
No Logan rating yet...he's been at work all day, but I'll put one up as soon as he scarfs down a piece!
Logan Rating: ****

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK! PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT!