Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

*All recipes on this blog (unless otherwise noted) are Martha Stewart's from the Everyday Food Cookbooks here and here, they are not my own. If other than this I will post links to the recipes or indicate that they are originals*

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Love me some Breakfast!!!



So on Sunday morning I woke up early so I could prepare a feast for our guests.  I woke up to a nice little gift from our dog Rylie...I won't go into details but she wasn't feeling well and well just couldn't hold it I guess.  So instead of preparing a feast for our friends I was cleaning up dog poop in my living room...NOT cool!  Anyway I decided to prevail and attempt to make the breakfast I had planned despite my delay.  Well little did I know the egg dish I was planning on making needed to set in the fridge for at least 2 hours.  Greeeeeat, there goes that plan.  I didn't find this out until I started making it, so I decided to finish making this and put it in the fridge to bake later.   In an attempt to salvage breakfast I made some muffins that I was planning on making anyway.  They were delicious!  As was the egg bake once it was set and baked.  I doubled the muffin recipe, but I didn't fill the muffin tin full enough so my muffins turned out to dwarf muffins, oops sorry, not PC...little muffins.  So warning these muffins do not rise at all, fill them as much as you want!  Sorry for the lack of posts recently, I swear I have been cooking and I have a back log of recipes to put up on here.  I have been nannying for an adorable little 15 month old girl and well she is a busy lady and doesn't always leave me much time to blog. :)  I'm off tomorrow so will probably have time to catch up.

Raisin-Bran Muffins
1 1/2 cups raisin bran cereal
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg
1/4 cup packed brown sugar

Preheat oven to 400.  Combine cereal with milk; let stand until softened, about 5 min.  In another bowl, whisk together both flours, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.  Stir oil, egg and brown sugar into cereal mixture, then fold in flour mixture. Pour batter into muffin tin.  Bake, until golden brown and knife inserted comes out clean, 20-25 min.  Cool in tin 5min, then turn out to cool.  

Canadian-Bacon Strata
Unsalted butter, room temp
4 english muffins, split, toasted and cut into half-moons
1/2 lb canadian bacon, cut into half moons
1 1/4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup parmesan 
8 large eggs
3 cups milk
4 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
1/4 tsp hot pepper sauce

Butter a shallow 2 quart baking dish.  Arrange muffin halves and canadian bacon cut slides down in dish.  Sprinkle evenly with both cheeses.  Whisk together eggs, milk, mustard, 1/2 tsp salt, a pinch of pepper, and the hot pepper sauce until combined.  Pour into dish; cover tightly with plastic wrap, refrigerate at least 2 hours, or up to overnight.  Preheat oven to 350.  Place baking dish on a rimmed baking sheet, bake until puffed and set in the center about 1 1/2 hours.  Let stand 10 min before serving






Muffins: ***
Strata: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK! PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT!