Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

*All recipes on this blog (unless otherwise noted) are Martha Stewart's from the Everyday Food Cookbooks here and here, they are not my own. If other than this I will post links to the recipes or indicate that they are originals*

Monday, May 10, 2010

JUMBO shrimp!

Something you should probably know is this new food kick that I am on.  Previously I had always been the kind of person who stuck up her nose at "organic" and "all natural", because I thought it was just a ploy for the grocery store to get all my money!  Well recently I watched the documentary "Food Inc." which I would suggest you all take the time to watch.  It was very interesting and opened my eyes to a lot of things that are pretty scary.  While it was about the mistreatment of animals it was also about all the nasty stuff they put in our food (hormones, steroids, etc.), mainly our meat as well as how a few companies really monopolize the food industry. SO I haven't gone out of control, don't worry.  I have just decided to make a more conscious effort to not only cook healthy but use fresh, local ingredients that aren't chalked full of hormones!  So this leads me to the fact that I have been shopping mainly at the good food store (local organic grocery store) for mostly all our groceries.  I'm impressed with the fact that I am able to spend about the same amount of money per week on groceries.  This is helped by the fact that I recently also got a Costco membership, which really helps out with the bulk items...SO long story short I found the most amazing HUGE shrimp at Costco the other day for a GREAT price.  I will never go back to the frozen itty bitty shrimp again, these were plump and delicious, I felt like I was eating at a coastal restaurant...but it was my own kitchen! :)  Wow that was a random rant..hopefully you could follow that!  On to the food...Logan and I both LOVE curry so I knew this one would be a hit...

Curried Shrimp
2 TBS olive oil
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 jalapeño chile, finely chopped
2 TBS tomato paste
2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp ground ginger
4 plum tomatoes, cut into chunks
1 1/2 cups water
1 lb shrimp
1/4 cup sour cream (i used fat free)
1 TBS fresh lime juice
cooked rice (i used brown)
Heat oil in a large skillet, add onion, jalapeño and 3/4 tsp of salt.  Cook until onion is soft.  Add tomato paste, curry powder, and ginger.  Cook about 1 min or until fragrant. 
Add tomatoes, cook stirring about 1 min.  Add the water; simmer about 5 min.  Add shrimp and cook until opaque, about 3-5 min.  Remove from heat.
Add sour cream and lime juice, stir to combine.  Serve over rice. 

Finished product...TADAHHHHHH


Logan Rating: ****

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK! PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT!