Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

*All recipes on this blog (unless otherwise noted) are Martha Stewart's from the Everyday Food Cookbooks here and here, they are not my own. If other than this I will post links to the recipes or indicate that they are originals*

Monday, June 28, 2010

Lentil Pasta

This vegetarian friendly pasta was very good and extremely simple.  I made this on a night that I almost decided not to cook and just have leftovers.  I'm really glad that I did, because it was really quick and easy and it makes a lot so we had leftovers for another night that I didn't feel like cooking.  I got to use fresh arugula from the garden again and I think it added a great bite to the pasta.  Make sure you don't skimp on the cooking time for the onions, the long time gives them such a great caramelized flavor,which I LOVE!  You could also garnish with a little bit of red pepper flakes if you like a little kick.  The lentils added a great texture and really helped make this a substantial meal.  I feel like this is definitely more of a winter months meal, but it still tasted great.  Hope you all enjoy this one.

Pasta with Lentils and Arugula
2T olive oil
2 large onions, halved and thinly sliced
S&P
12 oz plum tomatoes, cored and diced
3/4 cup lentils, picked over and rinsed
12 oz orecchiette pasta (or shells work too)
1 bunch arugula, stemmed and coarsely chopped
1/2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium low heat, add onions and 1/2 tsp salt; cover and cook until onions wilt, about 20 min.  Uncover, raise the heat to medium.  Cook stirring the onions often, until they are dark brown, about 20-25 min more. 

Add 1/4 cup water; stir.  Stir in the tomatoes; remove from the heat.
Meanwhile, cover lentils with water by 1 in.  Bring to a simmer.  Cover and cook until lentils are tender, about 15-20 min.  Drain, stir into onion mixture.  Season with S&P.

Cook pasta until al dente.  Reserve one cup of pasta water, drain and return to pot. 
Add lentil mixture, arugula, cheese and reserved pasta water; toss and season again with S&P.  
Serves 6.

Logan Rating: ***


No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK! PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT!