Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

*All recipes on this blog (unless otherwise noted) are Martha Stewart's from the Everyday Food Cookbooks here and here, they are not my own. If other than this I will post links to the recipes or indicate that they are originals*

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Chicken, Thighs not Breasts

I have honestly never bought chicken thighs before, which means I also have never cooked them, until now.  When I saw this recipe, I originally had planned on substituting chicken breasts, which you can do, but when I got to the store I noticed how much cheaper the thighs were so I bought them instead.  I'm just not always big on chicken on the bone, but this was delicious.  However, I was pretty disturbed at how much grease was in the pan after cooking these, so I'm not sure I would do it very often, because well it is summer and all and I'm perpetually dieting/trying to eat healthy.  This was served with couscous, which I forgot how much I loved and will be making more often now that I remember. 
 More about the chicken, this recipe has you cooking the chicken under the broiler.  I did this, but was having trouble getting it to cook all the way through and ended up putting it in the oven for about 10 min.  It was still great and crispy, so if you are having the same trouble, just stick it in the oven.  And if you do decide to substitute breasts, get them with the skin on because the seasoning is put under the skin.  If you are really wanting to keep it low fat, I suppose you could just rub with chicken breast with the seasoning, instead of putting it under the skin, you just wont get the same crispy effect, which is totally fine.  Anyway this recipe is delicious and you could serve it with just about anything, fresh pasta salad, grilled sweet corn or a light lettuce salad.  Enjoy!

Crispy Ginger-Lime Chicken Thighs
1 T finely grated fresh ginger
1 T fresh lime juice
2 tsp curry powder
4 scallions, trimmed and minced
S&P
8 bone in skin on chicken thighs

Heat broiler, with rack set 4 in from heat source.  In a small bowl, combine ginger, lime juice, curry powder, scallions, 1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. 

Place chicken on a rimmed baking sheet; season both sides with salt and pepper.  Gently loosen skin from each piece, dividing evenly rub ginger mixture under skin. 
Turn thighs skin side down on baking sheet, and broil 5 min.  Flip thighs and continue to broil until skin is crisp and instant read thermometer inserted into thickest part of thighs registers 165, 6-8min more.  Serve, drizzled with pan juices.  ( I didn't do this because the pan juices were ALL GREASE, yikes).  


Couscous with Carrots and Cilantro
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup couscous
1 carrot, coarsely grated
S&P
1/2 cup packed cilantro 
1 T olive oil

In a small saucepan, bring water to boil.  Stir in couscous, carrot and 1/2 tsp salt; cover pan, and remove from heat.  Let stand 5 min.  Fluff couscous with a fork.  Gently stir in chopped cilantro and oil; season with S&P.  Serves 4. (Both chicken and couscous).


Logan Rating: *****


No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK! PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT!