Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

*All recipes on this blog (unless otherwise noted) are Martha Stewart's from the Everyday Food Cookbooks here and here, they are not my own. If other than this I will post links to the recipes or indicate that they are originals*

Monday, June 7, 2010

Fish Re-Do


Since the last attempt at fish was not so successful and we were still craving some good fish, I tried again.  And...SUCCESS!  This was GREAT.  I wasn't able to find arugula (which was really frustrating) so I just ended up using spinach and it was still really good.  I know it's a different flavor, so next time I'll have to search for arugula a tad harder.  I was also really nervous about the capers that are used in the sauce for this dish, because of a childhood memory.  I remember being about 12 and eating something with my mom and her telling me how capers always upset her stomach and that she won't touch them.  I decided that was silly and tried them anyway...well I got SICK!  So I haven't touched a caper since that day.  More than 10 years later, here I am...eating capers, what a triumph!  Well anyway, moral of the story is to not hold on to silly things like that because most likely it was just a coincidence and its probably all in your head.  Last but not least, I love the way this fish is lightly fried.  I used just about a tablespoon of olive oil to "fry" all the fish in a skillet and I just love the taste this simple technique gives.  Try it out, Let me know!  Come on people, COOK and comment!

Tilapia with Arugula and Tomatoes
2 T olive oil, plus more if needed
1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
S&P
2 bunches arugula (1lb), stems trimmed
3 T flour
4 Tilapia fillets
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 T capers, drained and rinsed
2 T cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces ---I use a lowfat butter spread...Logan never notices ;)---

In a large saucepan, heat 1T oil.  Add tomatoes; season with S&P.  Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 min.  Remove from heat and stir in arugula; cover to keep warm.


Place flour in a shallow bowl.  Pat dry tilapia with paper towels; season with salt and red pepper flakes.  Dredge fish in flour, tapping off excess.  In a large skillet, heat 1 T oil and cook tilapia until lightly browned and cooked through, about 3-4 min per side.  Transfer to plate and cover loosely with aluminum foil.


Add wine to skillet; bring to a boil.  Cook until reduced by half, about 1 min.  Remove from heat, and stir in capers; gradually stir in butter until combined.  Serves 4 (or apparently 2)

Logan Rating: ***
After the meal he said the fish probably would have been a 4, but he didn't really like the greens that much....ooooooo SURPRISE SURPRISE! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK! PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT!