Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

*All recipes on this blog (unless otherwise noted) are Martha Stewart's from the Everyday Food Cookbooks here and here, they are not my own. If other than this I will post links to the recipes or indicate that they are originals*

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Delicious summer lunch OR dinner

I have always loved salads, especially in the summer, but have often had difficulty coming up with new and delicious ideas.  This is one of my favorite "meal" salads that I have made so far.  It was light, but also filling enough to be a meal.  I think that the salad is very versatile, while I was eating it I thought next time I could add eggs or chicken or a number of other things.  This dressing is really easy and actually very low cal/ low fat because I used fat free mayo.  Also this was my first time ever making home made croutons, which are SO easy and really really good.  I never really bought croutons before but now I really won't ever buy them, because of how easy they are to make.  The recipe calls for a baguette, but I actually used some leftover hamburger buns we had in the freezer and they turned out great.  I think you could use any bread you have laying around.  The only other thing I changed was that I used turkey bacon.  I know what you're thinking, that stuff is disgusting and tastes nothing like real "meat candy".  BUT I happened to find an awesome brand that tastes really good, even Logan thinks so and thats saying something.  It saves you a lot of fat and calories and you really aren't sacrificing much in taste...the brand is Eating Right, if you can find it, give it a try!  I don't think you'll be disappointed.  

BLT Salad with Buttermilk Dressing
8 slices bacon
1/2 baguette, sliced into cubes
2 T olive oil
S&P
1/3 cup buttermilk
3 T mayonnaise
2 T apple cider vinegar
1 scallion, thinly sliced
1 lb romaine hearts, chopped
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved

Preheat oven to 375.  Bake bacon on a baking sheet until browned and crisp, about 15 min.  Transfer to a paper towel to drain, cool and then crumble.  

Meanwhile toss the baguette cubes with oil and season with S&P.  Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake until golden brown about 15-20 min.  

Whisk together buttermilk, mayonnaise, vinegar, and scallions; season with S&P.  Add romaine and tomatoes and croutons; toss to coat with dressing.  Sprinkle with the bacon and serve. 
Serves 4.


Logan Rating: ***


No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK! PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT!