Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

*All recipes on this blog (unless otherwise noted) are Martha Stewart's from the Everyday Food Cookbooks here and here, they are not my own. If other than this I will post links to the recipes or indicate that they are originals*

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Fresh fruit=summer!

Another attempt at baking successful!  Minus a small issue involving our dog Rylie eating exactly half of the shortcakes that I made while I was at the gym.  At least she was thoughtful and left 4, so we could at least try them.  How sweet of her.  
While the shortcakes look a little dense and heavy, they are actually quite light when paired with the strawberries and whipped cream.  This is really a perfect summer dessert and I think it would be awesome with any kind of berry, or maybe a medley of fresh berries.  We will have fresh strawberries in the garden pretty soon, so I may be making this one again.
The recipe says to use a food processor, but because mine is small I ended up just using my kitchenaid mixer and I think it worked just fine.  I had to work the dough with my hands some to really get it to combine, but it seemed to turn out right.  Who knows, I'm definitely not an expert in this department.  But it was delicious, so that has to be a good sign right?  Well enjoy this light and refreshing summer dessert, hope you are all having a great weekend!

Strawberry Shortcakes
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup cold unsalted butter cut into small pieces
1/3 cup plus 1 T sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup milk
sweetened strawberries (recipe below)
whipped cream for serving

Preheat oven to 425.  In a food processor, combine the flour, butter, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt; process until the mixture resembles coarse meal.  Add the milk; pulse just until moistened, 4-5 times, do not over process.  

Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface; with floured hands, gently pat the dough into a 4x8 in rectangle.
Dust a large knife with flour; cut the dough into 8 squares.  Transfer to a baking sheet; sprinkle with the remaining tablespoon of sugar.  

Bake until golden, about 25-30 min; cool on baking sheet.  To serve, split the biscuits with a serrated knife; layer with berries and whipped cream. 


Sweetened Strawberries
1 1/2 lbs (about 6 cups) fresh strawberries
1/4 cup sugar ( I didn't use this much, probably 1/8 cup)

Hull and quarter strawberries; toss in a medium bowl with sugar.  Let stand until syrupy, tossing occasionally at least 20 min.  


Logan Rating: ****

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK! PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT!