Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

*All recipes on this blog (unless otherwise noted) are Martha Stewart's from the Everyday Food Cookbooks here and here, they are not my own. If other than this I will post links to the recipes or indicate that they are originals*

Monday, June 14, 2010

Ladies Night Spinach Dip

Sorry I don't actually have a delicious picture of this dish complete, I wish I hadn't forgotten my camera so you could see the finished product.  However, I did forget my camera so this will just have to do.  A few of my girlfriends and I decided to have a wine/app night this weekend and I thought this would be the perfect dish.  I served it with a fresh baguette and it was a hit.  I still think I like spin/artichoke dip better, but this was pretty good nonetheless.  There was about 2 bites leftover that I did bring home for Logan to try, so never fear there will be a Logan rating...I know you were all worried for a second.  
At this ladies night we also had a caprese salad courtesy of Caroline, which was so fresh and delicious, a fresh and simple pasta from Kate and some INSANELY amazing chocolate granola thanks to Emily.  And of course we had lots and lots of wine; including a vino verde from a new friend Molly!  Thanks for all the fun ladies, twas a blast, can't wait till the next one!
In the mean time people, try this one, if you want it for a bigger party I would double the recipe, because it didn't make as much as I was expecting.  Also, because either I didn't buy cream cheese at the grocery store or Logan ate it all in one sitting, I used laughing cow light cheese wedges as a substitute.  Had to think on my toes and this time it worked out, although I'd like to try the recipe again with cream cheese.   ENJOY!

Hot Spinach Dip
2 tsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves
2 lbs spinach, washed and chopped (I didn't chop it)
1/2 cup milk
6 oz cream cheese, cut into pieces and softened
3 dashes worcestershire sauce (why do they make that word so difficult)
3 dashes tabasco
3/4 cup shredded mozzarella
S&P

Preheat oven to 425.  Heat oil in pot over medium.  Add onion and garlic; cook until lightly browned, about 5-8 min.  


Add spinach in two additions, letting the first wilt before adding the next; cook until completely wilted, tossing frequently, 5-8 min.  Transfer to a colander; drain, pressing to release all excess liquid.


In the same pot, bring milk just to a simmer.  Add cream cheese and cook, whisking until melted, about 3 min.  Add spinach worcestershire sauce, tabasco, and 1/4 cup mozzarella.  Season with S&P.  Transfer mixture to a lightly oiled 1 1/2 quart baking dish; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella.


Bake until bubbly and cheese is golden brown, about 20-25 min.  
I used the broiler to get the cheese on top brown.
Makes 3 cups.

Logan Rating: ****


No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK! PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT!