Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

*All recipes on this blog (unless otherwise noted) are Martha Stewart's from the Everyday Food Cookbooks here and here, they are not my own. If other than this I will post links to the recipes or indicate that they are originals*

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Down home cookin

This meal totally reminds me of my childhood, my mom used to make chicken and dumplings all the time.  This was my first time ever making this fantastic dish and I'm sorry to say it is definitely better than the recipe I grew up on, but MOM don't worry yours is still good!  I added more of that free cabbage to this recipe in an effort not to waste free food, oh how happy that head of cabbage made me.  
So I have to tell you guys this one is a must make this winter.  It is total comfort food and I'm not embarrassed to say I ate this for 3 meals in a row...dinner, lunch and then dinner again...if there would have been more leftover I may have just eaten this for every meal last week, it was that good!  The dumplings were amazing and the flavor of the soup was perfect, way to go Martha, you done did good!
ENJOY!

Chicken and Dumplings
3 T butter
1 onion cut into 1 in pieces
5 carrots, sliced
1 T fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dried
1 cup all purpose flour
1 can chicken broth
S&P
1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 2 in pieces
2 T coarsely chopped dill or 3/4 tsp dried
1 3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup milk
1 package frozen peas (unthawed)

In a pot melt butter, add onion carrots and thyme.  Cover and cook until onions softens, about 5 min.  Add 1/4 cup flour; cook stirring 30 sec.  Add chicken broth and bring to a boil; season with S&P.  Nestle chicken in pot; reduce heat to med-low, cover and cook for about 20 min.




Meanwhile make dumplings; whisk remaining 3/4 cup flour with dill, baking powder and 1/2 tsp salt.  With a fork, gradually stir in 1/2  cup milk to form a moist and soft batter.  (it should be just a little thicker than a pancake batter).



Stir in peas, return to a simmer and drop batter in heaping tablespoonfuls, leaving space between each dumpling.  Cover and simmer until chicken is tender and dumplings are firm, about 20 min more.
Serves 4 

Logan Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK! PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT!