Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

*All recipes on this blog (unless otherwise noted) are Martha Stewart's from the Everyday Food Cookbooks here and here, they are not my own. If other than this I will post links to the recipes or indicate that they are originals*

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Fish Sticks

There's a funny joke about fish sticks from a south park episode that was said over and over this night.  If you know it, laugh now.  I'm just going to leave it at that as to not offend any of my readers. 
ANYWAY, these were AWESOME!  This meal brought me back to grade school, except these were MUCH better than the frozen crap they used to serve in the lunch line.  I absolutely love panko bread crumbs, they are good on just about anything.  These are baked instead of fried so they really aren't too bad for you, but they still taste delicious and are delightfully crunchy!  The tarter sauce was just OK...I could have done without all the parsley, next time I think I'd only add maybe a tablespoon or two.  But other than that this recipe was pretty flawless, because really...how can you go wrong with fish sticks???  I served it with a twice baked, baked potato because I was feeling dangerous...and we had gone for a run that day so I figured why not!?  Probably backwards thinking, since it most likely negated all the hard work I had done, but OH WELL!  Anyway, I also just wanted to share a quick thought that I had while I was making these.  If you have kids, or you really like fish sticks, you could make a BUNCH of these and then freeze them.  You're very own frozen fish sticks!  Do it...I dare you!
ENJOY!!!

Panko-Crusted Fish Sticks with Herb Dipping Sauce
1 large egg, lightly beaten
S&P
2 cups panko
1 T old bay or other seafood seasoning
2 T olive oil
1 1/2 lb tilapia fillets, cut into strips
1/2 cup mayo (I use fat free, no one ever knows the difference!)
1/4 cup packed fresh parsley, chopped
1 T dijon
1 T fresh lemon juice
2 tsp horseradish sauce

Preheat oven to 475.  Place egg in shallow bowl; season with S&P.  In another bowl, stir together panko, old bay, and oil.  Dip tilapia into egg, letting excess drip, then coat completely with panko mixture, gently pressing if necessary.  Place on baking sheet, leaving room in between.


Bake until lightly browned 12-15 min.  (The recipe says not to turn the fish sticks, but I say thats bull..turn them or else you will have one side golden brown and the other side not as yummy)
Meanwhile make sauce; in a small bowl, stir together mayo, parsley, mustard, lemon juice, and horseradish; season with S&P.
Serve fish sticks with sauce and lemon wedges on the side if desired.
Serves 4.

Logan Rating: ****

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK! PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT!