Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

*All recipes on this blog (unless otherwise noted) are Martha Stewart's from the Everyday Food Cookbooks here and here, they are not my own. If other than this I will post links to the recipes or indicate that they are originals*

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Lentils

Are lentils beans?  
Wikipedia tells me that they are legumes...those are beans right? 
Side note...is anyone else disturbed by the fact that Wikipedia is in the dictionary?
Anyway I'm not entirely sure what they are but they are delicious, nonetheless!
I should probably apologize for my absence again, SORRY!  
I won't say it isn't going to happen again, because, well it probably will...so SORRY ahead of time!
So even my bean hating fiancée loved this soup, so maybe lentils aren't beans...or maybe he's just inconsistent...either way this soup is GOOD!  
It is a fantastic winter soup, it really warms you up from the inside out.
It's also very hearty, we ate it for dinner and then again for lunch later in the week, just perfect!
I used turkey bacon, because I always feel so guilty when I cook regular bacon.  
I saved some to serve as a garnish too...loved the extra CRUNCH!
ENJOY!

Lentil Soup
3 strips bacon, cut into 1/2 in pieces
1 large onion, chopped
3 med carrots, peeled, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4 in pieces
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 T tomato paste
1 1/2 cups lentils, picked over and rinsed
1/2 tsp dried thyme
2 cans (14.5 oz each) chicken broth
1 T red wine vinegar
S&P

In a dutch oven or large pot with a tight fitting lid, cook bacon over med-low heat until browned and crisp, 8-10 min.  Pour off all but 1 T fat.
Add onion and carrots; cook until softened, about 5 min.  Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 sec.  Stir in tomato paste and cook for 1 min.
Add lentils, thyme, broth and 2 cups water.  Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer.  Cover; cook until lentils are tender, 30-45 min.  If soup becomes too thick during cooking, add up to 1 more cup of water. 

Stir in vinegar, 1 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper, or more to taste.  
Serves 4 (as a meal) 

Logan Rating: ***


No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK! PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT!