Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

*All recipes on this blog (unless otherwise noted) are Martha Stewart's from the Everyday Food Cookbooks here and here, they are not my own. If other than this I will post links to the recipes or indicate that they are originals*

Monday, November 22, 2010

BEEF, it's whats for dinner!

Do you look like this when you chop onions???  Embarrassing picture, I KNOW, but I need help!
Does anyone have any tricks for chopping onions without crying through the whole experience and then almost chopping your finger off because you can't see through the tears????
I thought I was safe with shallots, but woahhh baby, as you can see, they got me!
Alight, enough about me, onto the food!
Once I recovered from all the crying, we had a really fantastic meal.  
This one made me feel like a full blooded American!
The average American eats over 200lbs of meat per year...we definitely did our part here!
That statistic actually makes me nauseous...
Nonetheless here is a bright pink slab of meat for you to enjoy! :)
In all seriousness though, this was a good meal.  
You can never go wrong with roasted potatoes and these were particularly good.
The green beans were simple and quick.
ENJOY!

Roast Beef with Shallots and New Potatoes
1 1/2 lbs small red new potatoes halved or quartered
1 lb shallots, peeled and trimmed, halved lengthwise
2 T olive oil
S&P
1 1/2 lbs eye of round beef roast, tied

Preheat oven to 400.  On a large rimmed baking sheet, toss the potatoes and shallots with oil; season with S&P.
Push potatoes and shallots toward edges of baking sheet; place roast in center.  Turn roast to coat with oil on the pan and season with S&P.
Roast, tossing potatoes and shallots occasionally, until meat reads 130 on a meat thermometer, about 40-50 min.  Let beef rest, loosely covered with aluminum foil, before slicing and serving. 
Serves 4.

Lemon Thyme Green Beans
S&P
1 1/2 lbs green beans
3 T fresh lemon juice
2 T butter
1 tsp fresh thyme 

In a large skillet with a tight-fitting lid, bring 1/2 inch water to boil; salt generously.
Add green beans; reduce to a simmer and cover the skillet.  Steam beans, tossing occasionally, until crisp-tender, 6-10 min. 
Pull lid back and tilt skillet to drain water; add lemon juice, butter and thyme.  Season with S&P and toss to melt butter.  
Serves 4.

Logan Rating: ****

1 comment:

  1. I will buy you onion goggles for your wedding present :) My solution... make Derek chop all the onions! It works great!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK! PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT!