Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

*All recipes on this blog (unless otherwise noted) are Martha Stewart's from the Everyday Food Cookbooks here and here, they are not my own. If other than this I will post links to the recipes or indicate that they are originals*

Thursday, November 11, 2010

I love celery!

I discovered something odd about myself while making this recipe...I LOVE CELERY!
And even weirder...I love the SMELL of celery!
Yes I'm speaking of the vegetable mostly comprised of water...it does have a smell.  I can't put my finger on what it reminds me of, but whatever it is makes me very happy.  
Onto more important things, like this recipe that is like Thanksgiving rolled into one breast of chicken.  It was so easy and so delicious, and true comfort food.  I served it with some roasted broccoli, which was also delicious, but you could use any vegetable or side you like.  Also it calls for dried cranberries, but I happened to have dried golden plums so I used those instead and it was still great.  Next time I'd try the cranberries though, in an effort to be true to thanksgiving dinner.  
Oh and don't be like me and forget to halve the stuffing recipe when you're cooking for two...I had OVERSTUFFED breasts...no pun intended...ok so maybe I did intend it a little bit!
ENJOY!

Roasted Stuffed Chicken and Broccoli
1/2 loaf soft Italian bread, torn into bit size pieces
1 celery stalk (be sure to sniff it!) thinly sliced
1/2 tsp dried sage
1/2 small onion coarsely chopped
1/3 cup dried cranberries
4 T olive oil
S&P
1 roaster chicken breast (3-3.5lbs) -I used two skin on bone in chicken breasts and stuffed under the skin
2 heads broccoli, florets separated.  

Preheat oven to 450.  Make stuffing: Combine bread, celery, sage, onion, cranberries, and 1 T oil; season with salt and pepper.
Press down on center of breast with the palm of your hand until the breast bone cracks.  ( I did not do this, because I had separate breasts). Working from neck end of chicken use fingers to loosen skin from flesh and separate skin from flesh and separate skin from center breastbone with a paring knife.  Generously season under and over skin with S&P.  Tuck stuffing under skin, distributing evenly.  Rub skin with 1 T olive oil and place on rimmed baking sheet.  Roast until thermometer reads 165, 45-60 min.  Remove from oven.
Cover loosely with aluminum foil and let rest 15min.
   
Meanwhile toss broccoli with remaining 2 T oil on another baking sheet; season with salt and pepper.  Roast until beginning to brown, 15-20 min, tossing halfway through.  
Remove chicken breast meat from bone; slice crosswise.  Serve chicken with broccoli.  

Serves 4. 

Logan Rating: ****

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK! PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT!