Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

*All recipes on this blog (unless otherwise noted) are Martha Stewart's from the Everyday Food Cookbooks here and here, they are not my own. If other than this I will post links to the recipes or indicate that they are originals*

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Squash and Apple Soup

Well folks, I've created a monster!  Logan and I went out to eat this past weekend and while we were sitting and enjoying a wonderful meal cooked by someone OTHER than me, he began to critique the food.  He now thinks he is a food critic and expects exceptional food at all times.  What have I done?  Its actually quite funny, a guy who a few months ago loved pretty much everything I cooked, now has a rating for everything he eats.  Which is completely my fault...I suppose he could start a column and make some money off of this new hobby.  :)  Well I guess I  just have to keep cooking!

This soup was good, but not a favorite around here.  However, again I think this is my fault, because I kind of screwed up the recipe.  It calls for unsweetened apple cider, which I couldn't find so I just bought apple juice...and it was a smidge too sweet.  SO I'm telling you all that if you are going to try this recipe don't make the same mistake.  To compensate for the sweetness I ended up sprinkling some cayenne pepper on top along with the other garnishes.  Also I decided to make homemade squash puree instead of buying frozen, it was super easy.  It does take extra time because you have to roast the squash, so if you don't have much time then I would just buy frozen...that makes it a really quick recipe.  

I definitely want to try this one again, because I have a feeling next time it would be much better.  You try it, and let me know!
ENJOY!

Squash and Apple Soup
1 T olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
3 granny smith apples, cored, peeled and finely chopped
2 1/2 cups unsweetened apple cider
1 tsp ground ginger
2 1/2 cups water
3 packages (12oz each) frozen squash puree or 6 cups homemade puree (see below)
S&P
1/4 cup plain yogurt (I use greek)

In a large pot, heat oil over med.  Cook onion, stirring frequently , until beginning to brown, 4-6 min.  Add apples; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened 3-5 min.  Remove 1/2 cup apple mixture, and reserve for garnish.

Stir cider, ginger, and the water into remaining apple mixture in pot; bring to a boil.  Stir in squash puree; cook until heated through, 8-10 min (4-5 min for homemade).  Reduce heat; simmer until mixture thickens, 15-20 min.  Season with S&P.  At this point, soup can be refrigerated up to 3 days, or frozen up to 1 month, in an airtight container; let cool completely before storing.  

Ladle soup into bowls, garnish with 1 T yogurt and 2 T reserved apple mixture. 
Serves 4.  

Squash Puree
Preheat oven to 400.  Place 3 whole acorn squash (about 2 lbs each) on a rimmed baking sheet; bake, until very tender when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife, about 1 hour.  When cool enough to handle, halve each squash lengthwise and discard seeds; scrape out flesh into a food processor (discard skins).  Process until smooth.




Logan Rating: **

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK! PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT!