Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

*All recipes on this blog (unless otherwise noted) are Martha Stewart's from the Everyday Food Cookbooks here and here, they are not my own. If other than this I will post links to the recipes or indicate that they are originals*

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Diet Schmiet!!!

Sooooo I couldn't help myself...I mean look at these things!  I've never deep fried anything that I can think of, this was a first, but it was TOTALLY worth it!  Everything in moderation right?
Anyway this was so good!  Not just the deep fried goodness, but the salsa on the steak was scrumptious too!  This is a great refreshing way to serve steak.
And if you are better than me, you could serve it with a salad or maybe some roasted potatoes.
If you are like me, you will deep fry some onions, and LOVE IT!
Don't worry, I made up for it with Kickboxing the next night...I know you were worried!
Try this one, I'm telling you, you will NOT be disappointed...
Oh but I will warn you, you should definitely halve the onion ring recipe if you are only cooking for 2...or else it will not be moderation at all...it will be excess of a bad thing, which is delicious, but NO good.

Grilled Steak with Southwestern three tomato salsa
3 plum tomatoes, cored and seeded
1 jalapeno, ribs and seeds removed
1 T fresh lime juice
1/2 tsp ground cumin
2 yellow tomatoes cored and seeded (I used yellow cherry tomatoes)
2 T oil packed sun dried tomatoes, thinly sliced, PLUS 1 T oil from jar
S&P
4 boneless strip steaks (10-12 oz each)

Make salsa; in a food processor, puree tomatoes, jalapeno, lime juice and cumin; transfer to a small bowl.  Stir in yellow and sun dried tomatoes.  Season with S&P.

Heat grill or pan to med high.  Lightly oil grates or pan.  Pat dry steaks.  Season both sides with S&P.  Cook turning once, about 8 min total for med rare.  Just before serving, stir oil from sun dried tomatoes into salsa.  Serve steaks topped with salsa. 

Onion Rings
1 large sweet onion, sliced crosswise into rings
1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
salt
12 oz seltzer water
6 cups vegetable oil, such as safflower (I only used about 1 cup...you don't need to fill the pot with oil, just flip the rings one time while cooking)
1/2 cup packed fresh parsley leaves

Preheat oven to 250.  Soak onion slices in a large bowl of ice water, 10 min; drain and pat dry with paper towels.  In a large bowl whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, 1 tsp salt, and seltzer. 

In a large heavy pot, heat oil over high until deep fry thermometer registers 375.  (Come on!  Who has a deep fry thermometer??? NOT ME...I just waited until the oil sizzled when I placed the onion into it).  Working in batches, place onion in batter, coating completely; using your fingers, lift out, letting excess drip back into bowl.
Carefully lower onion slices into oil, making sure not to overcrowd pot; cook until golden brown.
Using a slotted spoon or metal tongs transfer onion rings to a paper towel lined baking sheet, and season with salt.  Keep warm in the oven.  
After onion rings are done.  Carefully lower parsley into pot (oil will splatter) and fry until crisp, 10 seconds; transfer to baking sheet and season with salt.  Sprinkle over onion rings.  (I skipped this step...seemed messy and unnecessary to me).
Serves 4.  

Logan Rating: *****

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK! PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT!