Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

*All recipes on this blog (unless otherwise noted) are Martha Stewart's from the Everyday Food Cookbooks here and here, they are not my own. If other than this I will post links to the recipes or indicate that they are originals*

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Soup and a puzzle

This picture was taken to capture the meal as well as the puzzle that consumed our lives and my kitchen table for about a week.  I completed this puzzle right before this meal was finished, so it seemed fitting to take the picture on the puzzle.  I now have my kitchen table back and I don't feel like a 18 year old college student eating off my floor every night.  
In my opinion this soup was pretty top notch.  It had great flavor and tons of veggies which I love.  I finally purchased tomato paste in a tube, since this recipe only called for 1 T.  This way I didn't throw away practically a whole can...thanks uncle Dug and aunt Candy for the tip! :)  It also had an interesting twist with the bread added directly into the soup while cooking.  I used sourdough bread, which I would definitely recommend because it added an awesome zing to this soup.  Any kind of bread would do however.  Also use any veggies that you have lying around, but this combo was definitely delicious.  Try this out on a cool fall evening, you won't be disappointed.
ENJOY!

Tuscan Bread Soup
6oz country bread, torn into 1 in pieces
2 T olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
3 carrots, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise
2 celery sticks, cut into 1/4 in thick pieces
4 garlic cloves, crushed
S&P
1 T tomato paste
1/2 head napa cabbage, halved lengthwise, cored and thinly sliced
2 cans (14.5oz) chicken broth
2 cups water
1 cup loosely packed fresh flat leaf parsley leaves

Preheat oven to 300.  Spread bread in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet.  Bake until dry, tossing half way through, about 15 min.  Remove from oven. 
Heat oil in large pot over med-high.  Ad donion, carrots, celery and garlic; season with s&p.  Cook stirring until veggies are soft, about 8-10 min.  Stir in tomato paste; cook, stirring, 1 min.


Add cabbage, chicken broth, water and toasted bread.  Simmer over medium heat until soup is thickened, 15-20 min.  Season with S&P and stir in parsley.  
Serves 4. (I'd say more)
This is great leftover, but you may need to add some extra water or broth in order to loosen it up a bit.  We're still eating it and this was made early in the week!

Logan Rating: ****


No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK! PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT!