Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

*All recipes on this blog (unless otherwise noted) are Martha Stewart's from the Everyday Food Cookbooks here and here, they are not my own. If other than this I will post links to the recipes or indicate that they are originals*

Sunday, October 3, 2010

I'm really getting the hang of this pasta thing....

Ok all my faithful followers I do apologize for my absence, but I'm thinking that this update will make up for it.  I want to say that if you can do it I totally recommend making some homemade pasta, not only is it delicious and fresh but its easy and fun too!  I finally figured out the trick to the pasta machine and that is FLOUR FLOUR FLOUR!  Previously I was not using enough flour and the noodles were not coming apart on their own, which led to many tedious minutes of me pulling them apart one by one, ridiculous huh?  I thought so too, which is why I was thinking NO WAY is this practical.  So then I doused the dough in TONS of flour and viola it was perfect.  So you can learn from my LONG mistake and now you can do it easily and quickly! 
This pasta recipe was what I would call pretty awesome!  I mean really, it has bacon, what more can you ask for?  The kale is such a great texture with the smooth pasta, I was really impressed with this one.  We ate it leftover for many a lunches...people at the hospital (where I'm doing my clinicals) were often coveting this one.  Obviously you can use store bought noodles, so give it a try!
ENJOY!

Whole Wheat Pasta with Kale and Fontina
4 slices of bacon, cut crosswise and into 1/2 in pieces
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 lb kale, leaves coarsely chopped
S&P
2 cups chicken broth
1 lb whole wheat spaghetti
1/2 cup coarsely grated fontina cheese

Cook bacon in a skillet over med-low heat.  Transfer with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.  Pour off all but 3 T rendered fat from skillet. 
Add garlic to skillet, cook until golden, about 2 min.  Add half the kale; cook tossing until just wilted.  Add remaining kale and season with S&P; cook until kale is wilted, about 2 min.  Add chicken broth and cover; simmer until kale is very tender.  10 min.


Meanwhile, bring large pot of water to boil.  Cook pasta according to package directions.  Reserve 1 cup pasta water; drain pasta and return to pot.
Add kale mixture and fontina to pot; toss with pasta to combine.  Add enough reserved pasta water to create a thin sauce.  To serve, divide among plates and sprinkle with bacon. 
Serves 4-6.

Logan Rating: ****





No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK! PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT!