Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

*All recipes on this blog (unless otherwise noted) are Martha Stewart's from the Everyday Food Cookbooks here and here, they are not my own. If other than this I will post links to the recipes or indicate that they are originals*

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Philly Steak minus the cheese

Sorry this pic is a little washed out...my camera is being temperamental, which is understandable since it was dropped on the floor not too long ago.  Anyway, do you have some steak you are wondering what to do with, well have no fear, your answer is here!  This steak and onion sandwich was great and a nice change from the dinners we've been having lately.  This was a fun and delicious meal that was not too heavy, but just right.  Plus, do you remember how much I love mushrooms?  Well I love caramelized onions just about as much!!!  I was very impressed with the flavor in this sandwich, who needs cheese whiz? Huh philly???  Alright well I realize this isn't a philly cheese steak, but its pretty much just as delicious and the salad that I served with it was also fantastic.  The herb vinaigrette was great, I'm telling you if you like herbs you will like this!  I do however wish I would have chosen a different lettuce...needed something crisper than what I chose...maybe radicchio next time.
ENJOY!

Steak and Onion Sandwiches
3 T olive oil
2 medium onions, sliced into 1/2 in thick rings
4 minute steaks (3 oz each) I'm not sure what this means I just used thin cut steaks
2 T worcestershire sauce
toasted country bread

Heat 2 T olive oil over med heat; cook onions until browned, about 10-15 min.  Season with S&P, remove. 
Heat remaining olive oil.  Season steaks with S&P.  Cook for 30 sec on each side; remove.  Add worcestershire sauce and 2 T water.  Return onions to the skillet; toss.
Sandwich the steak and onions between toasted country bread. 
Serves 4.

Leaf Lettuce Salad with Parmesan Crisps
1/2 cup finely grated parm
3/4 lb red or green leaf lettuce
reduced fat herb vinaigrette (recipe below)
S&P

Preheat oven to 350.  Divide cheese into four mounds on parchment lined baking sheet.  Bake until melted and golden brown, about 10 min.  

Tear lettuce and toss with vinaigrette; season with S&P.  Serve salad with crisps.
Serves 6.

Reduced Fat Herb Vinaigrette
1 T fresh lemon juice
2 tsp dijon
1/4 cup firmly packed fresh herbs such as basil, cilantro or parsley
1/2 small garlic clove
S&P
3 T olive oil

Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor, add olive oil in a steady stream until emulsified.  

Logan Rating: 
Sandwich: **
Salad: ***

FYI: When asking Logan for his rating his said "It was good, but it needed something, maybe cheese.  Cheese whiz like a real philly cheese steak."  Haha just goes to show how different people's opinions can be! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK! PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT!