Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

*All recipes on this blog (unless otherwise noted) are Martha Stewart's from the Everyday Food Cookbooks here and here, they are not my own. If other than this I will post links to the recipes or indicate that they are originals*

Friday, October 22, 2010

Improving on a classic

Are you confused?  Looking at this thinking, what the heck is it??  Well its meatloaf!  Yup, good old meatloaf.  I don't know why I've never seen this before, because apparently people do it all the time, but its a meatloaf sandwich.  Does it look huge in the picture?  Because it was gargantuan, not the sandwich from Jimmy John's, but just REALLY huge.  So meatloaf is one of my absolute favorite things, once again this is probably because I can use exorbitant amounts of ketchup, but nonetheless this meal was pretty great.  I am rather sad to say that it beats my moms meatloaf that I grew up on, in fact I can't believe she didn't think to put all these yummy veggies in...seems like a great way to hide them from kids.  I wouldn't have known the difference, I would have just covered it with ketchup anyway, which is also a vegetable...that is my excuse for using so much of it.  So here's the deal people, this is delicious, easy and quick to prepare.  It does take about 40 min in the oven though, so make sure you account for that cooking time.  Also they are actually supposed to be 4 mini turkey meatloaves, but who has mini loaf pans??? Not me!  So mine is a regular meat loaf.  Although I do like mini things, so maybe I should invest in some mini loaf pans...any of you have them? 
ENJOY!

Mini Turkey Meatloaves
1 T olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
1 slice sandwich bread
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup plus 2 T tomato chili sauce (I used ketchup...come on people what did you expect!?)
1 large egg
1 tsp dried sage
S&P

Preheat oven to 350.  In a large skillet heat oil over low.  Add onion, carrot and bell pepper; cook, stirring frequently until veggies are tender, about 10 min.  Transfer veggies to a large bowl, crumble in bread; add milk and 2 T chili sauce (KETCHUP!) and stir to combine.  

Add turkey, egg, and sage; season with 1 1/2 tsp salt and 3/4 tsp pepper.  Using your hands, gently mix to combine (this is the fun part).  Divide meat mixture into four equal parts and shape into each loaf pan...or use one regular loaf pan. 
Rub remaining 1/4 cup chili sauce over tops of loaves, dividing equally.  Bake until they reach 165, about 40-45 min.

Logan Rating: ****

1 comment:

  1. We made this the other night and it was tasty! I'm still partial to my mom's meatloaf, however. I think that's because I prefer the taste of ground beef compared to ground turkey...but this was something different! We made a sandwich out of it using toasted bread and put a slice of cheese on it :) I guess I'd give it four stars; I liked it but it was a bit sage-y for me so I'd probably change that next time. But overall a good dinner! Thanks Paige.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK! PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT!