Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

*All recipes on this blog (unless otherwise noted) are Martha Stewart's from the Everyday Food Cookbooks here and here, they are not my own. If other than this I will post links to the recipes or indicate that they are originals*

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Diner Dinner

For some reason this meal reminds me of something you would get at a greasy diner...however it really wasn't very greasy, isn't that great?!  I don't make steak very often, because, well it's just too expensive to buy the good stuff and the bad stuff is just REALLY bad.  However you will be seeing much more steak in the near future, because my future mother in law sent us a serious supply of Omaha steaks (if you don't know what these are, I'm sorry!) for Logan's birthday.  When I got the big white box filled with dry ice and assorted meats I felt like it was my birthday all over again! :)  Thanks Leslie!  Anyway this was a good dinner, these fries were pretty awesome as oven fries go.  The steak was nothing special but good.  And well I loved it because I was able to use about a lb of ketchup (ok not really that would be a little excessive).  Although after looking at these photos again, I'm realizing how "brown" this meal was...maybe next time I'd add a veggie or something...sorry the pictures are bland, but I promise the meal is not!  P.S. this is really quick, minus the cooking time for the fries, but those can be thrown in and then you can continue on whatever you need to do.
ENJOY!

Pan Fried Shell Steak
4 shell steaks (8oz each, 3/4 in thick)
S&P
1 T unsalted butter (or you could use olive oil)
1/2 cup water
watercress for garnish (this is ridiculous in my opinion...I don't put things on a plate you can't eat..WEIRD)

Pat steaks dry with paper towels.  Season both sides with S&P.  Heat a skillet over high heat, melt butter, swirling to coat bottom of pan.  Cook steaks 7-8 min for med-rare (depending on the thickness of your steak), turning once.  Transfer to plate.
Remove skillet from heat; add water and scrape browned bits from pan with a wooden spoon.  Season pan sauce with S&P.  Serve steaks with sauce spooned over top.

Serves 4.

Paprika Steak Fries
2 1/2 lbs russet potatoes, scrubbed
3 T oil, such as safflower
2 tsp paprika
S&P

Preheat oven to 450.  Halve potatoes crosswise; cut into 1 in wide wedges.  On a large rimmed baking sheet, toss potatoes with oil and paprika, and season with S&P.  Arrange in a single layer.

Roast, turning halfway through, until fork tender and browned, about 50 min.  Serve hot.
Serves 4. 

Logan Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK! PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT!