Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

*All recipes on this blog (unless otherwise noted) are Martha Stewart's from the Everyday Food Cookbooks here and here, they are not my own. If other than this I will post links to the recipes or indicate that they are originals*

Friday, September 3, 2010

Meatballs for ALL!



OK I am very sorry but I failed to get a finished product photo AGAIN.  This happens without fail pretty much every time we have friends over for dinner.  I'm not sure if it is because I'm so busy entertaining and conversing or if I'm just embarrassed that while everyone else is eating I'm frantically snapping photos.  Probably the latter.  Anyway it was a good thing that we have at least a few friends, because if it weren't for the extra mouths this meal would have taken us weeks to devour.  I did double the recipe, only because meat generally comes in 16oz packages not 8, so I had the extra meat anyway.  Speaking of the meat, I substituted bison for beef, because it is readily available out here in MT and it is leaner than beef.  Ok back to portions...even the doubled recipe should have fed 8, there were six of us and we had PLENTY of leftovers...I think it feeds more like 10-12.  Anyway thats besides the point, the important part is that they were delicious.  I might actually go as far as to say that they are the best meatballs I've ever had, this is probably because I generally don't eat meatballs, but still they were GREAT.  All of our guests (all 4 of them) had great things to say also, so unless I just scared them into their good ratings, this meal was a hit.  And might I add that it was super SIMPLE.  Just saying!  OK ENJOY!

Meatballs with Rosemary

8oz ground beef
8oz ground pork
1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs 
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp fresh rosemary or 1/2 tsp dried
1 T finely grated lemon zest
1T lemon juice
S&P
1 T olive oil
4 cups basic tomato sauce or store bought sauce

In a large bowl, combine beef, pork, panko, egg, garlic, rosemary, lemon zest and juice, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper.  Gently mix with your hands just until combined, do not over mix.  Divide mixture into 12 equal parts, use a 1/4 cup measuring cup if needed, and shape into meatballs.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high.  Add meatballs; cook turning occasionally, until browned, 10-12 min.
Tilt skillet away from you; pour in tomato sauce.  Bring to a boil over med high heat; reduce heat to med.  Cover and simmer until meatballs are cooked through, 8-10 min.  Serve, garnished with additional rosemary leaves if desired.
Serves 4.

Basic Tomato Sauce
1 T olive oil
1 small onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cans (28oz each) whole peeled tomatoes
1/4 tsp dried oregano
S&P

In a saucepan, heat oil over med.  Cook onion and garlic, stirring frequently, until translucent, 2-4 min.  Add tomatoes with their juice and the oregano.  Simmer, stirring occasionally and breaking up tomatoes with the spoon, until thickened, 20-30 min.  Season with S&P.  Sauce can be refrigerated up to 4 days or frozen up to 3 months; let cool completely before storing in airtight containers. 
Makes 6 cups. 


Logan Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK! PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT!