Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

*All recipes on this blog (unless otherwise noted) are Martha Stewart's from the Everyday Food Cookbooks here and here, they are not my own. If other than this I will post links to the recipes or indicate that they are originals*

Monday, September 13, 2010

Fish Po'Boys

I first discovered a Po'Boy sandwich at a restaurant that I used to work at, they served a shrimp version and sometimes had a fish Po'Boy special.  I tried it one night and I was hooked, it was SO good.  I mean I guess you can't really go wrong with fried fish on a crunchy baguette with tarter sauce, right?  But I have never made one of these delicious sandwiches at home, and I was pretty excited to experiment with it.  The nice thing about making things yourself is that you can control the calories A LOT better.  I love the fact that cornmeal is used to bread this fish and I used very little oil in my skillet when frying these up.  I used fat free mayo for the tarter sauce and paired them with some fresh watermelon.  It was a light fresh meal, but still very filling.  Absolutely delicious!  You could do this sandwich with any kind of seafood and it would be delicious, give it a try.  ENJOY!

Fish Po'Boys
1 lb skinless flounder fillets (I used Cod)
2 T yellow cornmeal
S&P
2 T canola oil (I used safflower)
8oz baguette, split and slightly hollowed
Spicy tarter sauce (recipe below)
lettuce and sliced tomato for serving

Cut flounder into strips; pat dry.  Place in a med bowl and toss with cornmeal, season with S&P.

Heat oil in non stick skillet over high heat.  Brown fish on both sides, 7-10 min.  Transfer to a paper towel lined plate; season with more salt as desired.


Spread both halves of baguette with tarter sauce and layer with lettuce tomato and fish. 
Serves 4. 

Spicy Tarter Sauce
1/2 cup mayo
2T chili sauce
2T chopped fresh parsley
2T grainy mustard
2T chopped gherkins (or pickles)
Hot sauce

Combine all ingredients in a bowl, season with hot sauce as desired.


Logan Rating: *****

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK! PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT!