Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

*All recipes on this blog (unless otherwise noted) are Martha Stewart's from the Everyday Food Cookbooks here and here, they are not my own. If other than this I will post links to the recipes or indicate that they are originals*

Friday, September 10, 2010

Indian spices

I love Indian spices, which is probably why I love Indian food.  My uncle Dug and I made a Indian meal one time, it did not go over well with my Aunt and Dad, who don't have as sophisticated pallets as us, but it was DELICIOUS.  Anyway this recipe reminded me a little of that time, funny how food can bring you back to a memory.  So basically this was delicious!  I was disappointed with the pitas that I used (they didn't stay together well at all) everything else was really yummy.  What a fresh and light summer meal, I'm glad I made it when there was still a glimmer of summer left, because now its Fall for sure.  The watermelon was a perfect accompaniment that I would have never thought of, but whats better than fresh watermelon?  I can't think of many things!  Try this one for sure, it was GREAT!
ENJOY!

Indian Spiced Chicken Burgers
1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into rough chunks
4 scallions, thinly sliced
3 T chopped fresh ginger
2 T fresh lemon juice
1 T paprika
2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
S&P
Veg oil for grates
4 whole wheat pitas
1 cucumber, halved lengthwise and sliced
1/2 cup cilantro sprigs
Cumin yogurt sauce (recipe below)
Watermelon slices

Heat grill to med high.  Or heat oil in pan ( I cooked my burgers on the stovetop).  Combine chicken, scallions, ginger, lemon juice, paprika, cumin , cardamom, cayenne, 1 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper.  Set aside to marinate for at least 10 min, up to 30 min.


Transfer chicken mixture to food processor; pulse until coarsely chopped, but not pasty, 10-12 times.  Gently form into patties
Oil grates, season patties with S&P; grill until opaque throughout, 2-3 min per side.


Halve pitas crosswise.  Into each pocket, place 2 chicken patties, cucumber slices, and cilantro sprigs.  Serve with cumin yogurt sauce and watermelon.


Serves 4.

Cumin Yogurt Sauce
1/2 cup plain low fat yogurt
1/2 tsp ground cumin
S&P
Combine all ingredients.


Logan Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK! PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT!