Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

*All recipes on this blog (unless otherwise noted) are Martha Stewart's from the Everyday Food Cookbooks here and here, they are not my own. If other than this I will post links to the recipes or indicate that they are originals*

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

...drool...

I feel like Homer Simpson looking at a doughnut when I look at this picture.  Oh man, this meal was fantastic!  Pork with a fig sauce and a great rice pilaf recipe.  
This was one of those recipes that I cook and it makes me feel like I'm a chef in a popular restaurant. 
Yes I do fantasize about those things while I cook, what of it!? 
So I was unable to find fresh figs, ANYWHERE, disappointing, I know.
BUT, I used dried and it was still KILLER, so its good to know that either works, 
however if you can find fresh, use fresh.
Also, while I LOVE drinking wine, I know very little about it...
so when I couldn't find a port wine at the store I just bought a regular old bottle of red wine...whoops
It was still really good, but I could see how port would really round out the sweetness/taste of the sauce.
I'm admitting my faults so that you all can succeed, so PLEASE let me know if you try this and if you like it.  
I bought a huge pork roast at the store, ON SALE, which was awesome.
However it was big enough to feed an entire baseball team, so we had a lot of leftovers.
A subsequent post will be all about what I did with those leftovers, so stay tuned. 
In the mean time, MAKE THIS, I'm serious, OR ELSE.
I will come to your house and yell at you....
A LOT!  
Seriously, I know where you live!
Well maybe that isn't true, but I could find out...I only have 16 followers remember! 
Ok chill, I won't harass you
merely for fear of restraining orders... :)
ENJOY!

Pork Loin with Figs and Port Sauce
1 T olive oil
2 boneless pork loins (1 1/5 lbs each)
S&P
1 shallot, finely chopped
1 T all purpose flour
1 cup port wine
1/2 lb ripe fresh figs, stemmed and halved

Preheat oven to 450.  In a medium ovenproof skillet heat oil over med heat.  Pat pork dry and generously season with S&P.  Cook on the stove top until browned on all sides, 8-10 min.  Pour off all but 1 T fat.  ( I don't have an oven proof skillet, so I just transfer it to a roasting pan after it is browned).
Transfer skillet to oven (or to roasting pan) and continue to cook until a thermometer reads 145.  (The time will depend on how big your pork loin is...so check it out.)  Transfer pork to plate and cover loosely with tin foil.
Place skillet over med heat; add shallot and cook until softened, 2-3 min.  Add flour; cook, stirring 30 sec.  Gradually whisk in port; cook until sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, 2-3 min.  Add figs; cook until warmed through, about 1 min.  Slice pork and serve with figs and port sauce. 

Rice Pilaf with Toasted Almonds
1 T unsalted butter
1 small onion, minced
1/4 tsp ground coriander
S&P
1 cup long grain white rice (I used brown rice)
1 can chicken broth
2 T coarsely chopped fresh flat leaf parsley 
1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted

In a med saucepan, melt butter over med heat.  Cook onion stirring occasionally until golden brown, about 8 min.  Add coriander; season with S&P.  Add rice, cook stirring 2 min. 
Stir in broth.  Bring to a boil; reduce heat.  Cover simmer until rice is tender and has absorbed all liquid, about 15 min.  (Takes about double the time for brown rice, FYI).  Remove from heat; let stand, covered, 10 min.  Fluff with a fork, stir in parsley and sprinkle with almonds.
Serves 4. 

Side note....This is now what our dog does every time we turn the oven on, as a result of many fire alarm episodes, which apparently she is not keen on.  
Yes, that is my closet...and yes she has hidden herself behind my dresses...
Oh the things we sacrifice for good food! 
Poor Rylie!

Logan Rating: *****

1 comment:

  1. I made this for dinner tonight and what a success! Dave responded with "Mmmm....wow, this is really good. Mmm, yeah this is good." Not like I'm cooking to please him or anything but it helps when the person you're sharing with enjoys the food, too :) I used port and it turned out really well. The sauce seemed to thicken quite fast so I added more liquid.

    I also made Paige's Potatoes (reds simmered in chicken broth) so used some of the broth to thin the sauce. We just got home from a lecture and I want seconds. Thanks for another fantastic meal!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK! PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT!