Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

*All recipes on this blog (unless otherwise noted) are Martha Stewart's from the Everyday Food Cookbooks here and here, they are not my own. If other than this I will post links to the recipes or indicate that they are originals*

Monday, August 20, 2012

Fajitas

I knew you were wondering what I did with that Pico De Gallo, as I'm sure you assumed I did something besides eat it by the spoonful   
So after I ate it by the spoonful, I realized I should probably make something equally delicious to slather the Pico De Gallo onto, my decision was Fajitas.  
When scouring my cookbooks for a fajita recipe, I found this one and it is so perfectly delicious and simple.
As I've learned more and more about cooking, there is one thing that I always go back to...
the best recipes are the simple ones that use fresh ingredients.
 This is one of those recipes.
The recipe itself does not actually call for pico de gallo, but I can only imagine it made it better.
Also, I followed the recipe and pan seared this steak, but you could definitely grill it, we are just out of propane.  EHeeehmmm *HINT* Logan *HINT* ;)
Try it for yourself and let me know!
ENJOY!

Seared Steak Fajitas
3/4 lb top round steak
1 T soy sauce
1/4 cup plus 1 T fresh lime juice (from about 3 limes), plus wedges for serving
1 T olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
S&P
2 medium green bell peppers, ribs and seeds removed, thinly sliced
1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced ( or accidentally diced, like I did)
8 corn tortillas (6in), warmed (see note)
1/2 cup grated white cheddar cheese (2oz)
1 large tomato, chopped (or fresh pico de gallo)
Cilantro sprigs for serving

*NOTE*
To warm the corn tortillas, use tongs to toast them on a gas stove burner for about 30 seconds per side.  Or wrap them (stacked) in damp paper towels and microwave for 30 to 60 seconds, just until softened.  

In a shallow dish or bowl, combine steak, soy sauce, and 1/4 cup lime juice.  Refrigerate 1 hour, turning steak occasionally.
  
Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat 2 tsp oil over medium.  Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds.  Remove from heat.  Stir in remaining 1 T lime juice. Set garlic oil aside.
Remove steak from marinade and blot dry with paper towels.  Season with salt and pepper.  In a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet, heat remaining 1 tsp oil over medium-high.  Cook steak, about 2 min per side for medium-rare.  Transfer to a cutting board, tent with foil and let rest.
Add bell peppers and onion to pan; season with salt and pepper.  Cook, stirring, until veggies are tender, 4-6 minutes.  Stir in reserved garlic oil. 
Thinly slice steak against the grain and serve with vegetables, tortillas, cheese, tomato, and cilantro.


Serves 4.

Logan Rating: ***
(But take with a grain of salt, because he says he doesn't like fajitas, what next will he tell us he hates fun too????)









2 comments:

  1. Great for outdoor picnics with the whole family...I love that it is a complete meal by itself! Love to try this weekend =)
    Anyhoo, we have just recently launched a food photo submission site, http://www.yumgoggle.com/gallery/ that allows you to showcase all your great work and share it with all of our visitors. Your phenomenal photos have caught our attention. We’d be proud to have your work as part of our growing collection to continue to have a larger reach and further inspire all fellow food lovers out there! (sorry for the blatant shameless plug)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! It means a lot to me that you noticed them :) If you check out my earlier posts you will see I've been working quite hard on my photos! I will check out your site for sure, do I just submit my photos and recipes after registering? Thanks again for your interest in my photos and blog!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK! PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT!