Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

*All recipes on this blog (unless otherwise noted) are Martha Stewart's from the Everyday Food Cookbooks here and here, they are not my own. If other than this I will post links to the recipes or indicate that they are originals*

Friday, March 25, 2011

Weird Combo

Safeway, you failed me!
No eggplant?  
REALLY!
Rude.
This meal was supposed to be eggplant and mushrooms,
but instead I made squash...weird I know.
I wasn't sure what to do,
I'm not used to not finding what I need at the store.
I just grabbed the first thing I saw...happened to be a squash.
Luckily it actually tasted good, but I have a feeling eggplant would have been better.
So don't panic like I did...find the eggplant.
P.S. I don't actually know what Japanese eggplants are...

Steamed Eggplant and Mushrooms with Peanut Sauce
6 Japanese eggplants (about 2 lbs) sliced into 1in thick rounds
1 lb shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, caps halved
3 T smooth peanut butter
3T rice vinegar
2 T soy sauce
2 T finely grated peeled fresh ginger
1-2 T light brown sugar
salt
4 scallions, trimmed, cut into 2 in lengths, and thinly sliced lengthwise
cooked rice, such as basmati for serving.

Fill a large pot with about 1 in water; bring to a boil.  Add eggplant and mushrooms.  Reduce heat to med-high, cover and steam until tender, 8-10 min.
Meanwhile, make sauce;  place peanut butter in a small bowl.  Gradually whisk in vinegar, then add soy sauce, ginger, brown sugar and 1 tsp salt; whisk until smooth and combined.  

With a slotted spoon, transfer steamed eggplant and mushrooms to a large bowl.  Add scallions and peanut sauce; toss gently to coat.  Serve over rice.
Serves 4. 

Paige Rating: **

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK! PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT!