Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

*All recipes on this blog (unless otherwise noted) are Martha Stewart's from the Everyday Food Cookbooks here and here, they are not my own. If other than this I will post links to the recipes or indicate that they are originals*

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

20th follower? Where you at??

Would you like to be my 20th follower???
I just know you do!
Just click the follow button,
please!
Come on try it, 
you might like it!
:)
Peer pressure always worked on me.

SO I'm really sorry about the lack of picture of the finished product.  I hate when I don't have very many photos to share with you all.
This meal happened to be for one of our supper clubs.
The theme was soup, it was amazing!
So I made gumbo, it was absolutely delicious.
I made it mostly on the stove, but finished it in the Crockpot.
It was PERFECT!
I was a little afraid of okra, to be honest.
Have heard horror stories about the sliminess.
But I loved it!
And after this meal I actually sauteed it up with other veggies and had it as a side with orzo and chicken one night for dinner. 
You must try it.
I love being introduced to new vegetables.
This gumbo was very good as is, but I made it even better by the addition of Slap ya Mama.
The flavor was awesome, it was a huge hit
and the leftovers were just as good.
ENJOY!

Half-Hour Chicken Gumbo
3 T veg oil, such as safflower
1/3 cup all purpose flour
2 red bell peppers, chopped (I used green, because they were cheaper)
1 onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 tsp dried oregano
S&P
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups water
1 package frozen cut okra (unthawed)
8oz smoked andouille sausage, halved lengthwise and sliced 1/4 in thick
4 cups shredded roasted chicken (from the leftovers of kale night)


In a dutch oven (I need one of these) or heavy 5 qt pot, heat oil over med.  Add flour and cook; whisking constantly, until pale golden, 5-7 min.  Stir in bell peppers, onion, garlic and oregano; season with salt and pepper.  Cook stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, 10-12 min
Add chicken broth and water; stir in okra and sausage.  Bring to a boil.  Stir in shredded chicken, and cook until heated through, 1-2 min.  Season with S&P. 

Paige Rating: ****

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK! PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT!