Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

*All recipes on this blog (unless otherwise noted) are Martha Stewart's from the Everyday Food Cookbooks here and here, they are not my own. If other than this I will post links to the recipes or indicate that they are originals*

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Tofu, the other white meat??

So I just want to clear something up!  
I got an anonymous comment on one of the posts referring to the fact that the recipe was the same as the one on Martha Stewart's website. 
I think most of you know that I'm doing a challenge here, cooking through two of her cookbooks.
I try to make it clear that these are NOT my recipes...I am following her recipes straight out of the books.
I think I'm giving her credit, with the books being pictured and all...so hopefully this is clear to everyone.
I am certainly not trying to pass her WONDERFUL recipes off as my own, 
I am simply not that talented! :)
Sorry about any misunderstanding.

ONTO THE FOOD! 
So I must apologize right off the bat for not having a finished product pic for this recipe,
you can refer to page 254 of the orange book if you have the cookbook..its much prettier there anyway.
I must have been in a hurry and forgot,
then I planned on taking it when I ate the leftovers,
but the leftovers went bad in my fridge...BUMMER.
I know, I know there are starving children in Africa...SORRY!
Anyway this was really good, 
I think that I ate too much of it at once though,
got sick of it
and then didn't want to touch the leftovers...
whoooooops.
I made this because I knew Logan would stare at me with a sour look on his face if I made it for him.
You know the kind of look that says "NO WAY MOM, I will not eat those lima beans".
I could just see it now.
So in an attempt to avoid that, I made this tofu dish in his absence.
It was the first time I've ever had tofu as the main event in a dish...
I have to say I was surprised at how filling it is.
This is definitely something I would have never made before this challenge.
If you are a tofu fan, try it...if not, DON'T blame me when you don't like it! :)
Happy cooking!
ENJOY!

Teriyaki Tofu and Mushrooms
2 packages (14 oz each) firm tofu, each sliced crosswise into 6 rectangles
3 T finely grated peeled fresh ginger
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 T rice vinegar
1 T sugar
2 tsp cornstarch
1 to 1 1/2 cups water
2 T vegetable oil, such as safflower
8oz fresh shitake mushrooms, stems removed, caps sliced (I can never find shitake so I used creminis)
1-2 bunches watercress, tough stems removed, for serving (I skipped this)

Press tofu:  Arrange tofu slices in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with a double layer of paper towels.  Cover with more paper towels and another baking sheet; weight with a heavy skillet (or whatever you have on hand).  Let drain 15 min.
Meanwhile, make sauce; place ginger in a fine sieve; press to release juices into a bowl, discard solids ( I just used my hands to squeeze the juice out).  Whisk in soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, cornstarch, and 1 cup water.
Heat 1 T oil in a large skillet over med heat.  Cook half the tofu until golden brown, 4-6 min per side.  Transfer to a plate and repeat with remaining slices.
Heat remaining oil in same skillet over med.  Cook mushrooms, stirring often, until browned, about 5 min.  Add sauce; bring to a boil.  Cook just until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 1 min ( if you need to you can add up to 1/2 cup more water to thin sauce).  Return tofu to pan; toss gently to coat.  


Serves 4.

Paige Rating: **

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK! PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT!