Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

*All recipes on this blog (unless otherwise noted) are Martha Stewart's from the Everyday Food Cookbooks here and here, they are not my own. If other than this I will post links to the recipes or indicate that they are originals*

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Home sweet Home

I have finally gotten to the point where I can share the recipes we made when I was home for spring break.  I am so excited to share some of these with you!
This meal I made for my parents and my aunt and uncle, Candy and Dug and my grandma Marlys.
I've mentioned Dug on here before, he is an amazing cook and I learned much of what I know from him.
So it is always fun to get the chance to cook for him :)
I made the chicken, coleslaw and potatoes.  The potatoes I just made up, but the other two are challenge recipes.  Dug made the dinner rolls, SO good!
The chicken was superb, coleslaw was definitely different, but grew on us all and was actually pretty good!
Great meal, great people...can't go wrong.
ENJOY!

Buttermilk Baked Chicken
oil for baking sheet (or Pam)
8 slices white bread
1 cup buttermilk
1tsp hot-pepper sauce
S&P
3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 tsp dried thyme
4 lbs chicken parts (legs, thighs, and wings)
-we used breasts also, for a leaner option

Preheat oven to 400.  Generously rub a baking sheet with oil (or spray with Pam).
In a food processor pulse the bread until it turns to coarse crumbs.
(My next gift to my mother will be a food processor!)
In a large bowl, stir together buttermilk, hot pepper sauce, 3/4 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper.  In a separate bowl, mix the breadcrumbs, parm, thyme and 1/8 tsp pepper.
Place the chicken in the buttermilk mixture, turning to coat evenly.  Working with one piece at a time, remove the chicken from the liquid, letting the excess drip back into the bowl; dredge in the breadcrumb mixture, turning to coat evenly.  Place the coated chicken pieces on the prepared baking sheet.  
Bake until the chicken is golden brown, about 35 min.
 
Serves 4.

Paige Rating: ***

Carrot Cumin Slaw
1/4 head green cabbage, shredded
3 carrots, coarsely grated
1 jalapeno chile, seeded and minced (don't seed if you like more heat)
1/4 cup canola oil (I found this to be too much oil..next time I would add less)
2 T fresh lime juice
3 T chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
1/2 tsp ground cumin
S&P

In a large bowl, combine cabbage, carrots and jalapeno.  
Drizzle mixture with canola oil and lime juice.
Sprinkle with cilantro, cumin, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/8tsp pepper.  toss well.  
Serves 4.

Stay tuned for some AWESOME dessert recipes! 

Paige Rating: **

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK! PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT!