Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

*All recipes on this blog (unless otherwise noted) are Martha Stewart's from the Everyday Food Cookbooks here and here, they are not my own. If other than this I will post links to the recipes or indicate that they are originals*

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Roast Chickens

Do chickens have more than one liver?
I found 2 in one chicken!  
Does this mean chickens metabolize alcohol faster?
Can a chicken even get drunk?
WEIRD!!!
ANYWAY...
So here is the roasted chicken recipe I was talking about in the last post.
Sorry it is out of order.
Apparently I can't keep track of all the backlogged recipes I need to share with you.
That ought to teach me to wait so long to update this blog!
Nah, it probably won't.
Anyway, make this meal the night before the curry meal so you will have already cooked chicken for your curry.
I am obsessed with this meal.
This is what I cook whenever I want a simple, no babysitting meal.
Throw everything in the oven and let it cook.
My kind of week night meal.
You could use any kind of potato and vegetable that you want.
Squash would be really good too, especially because winter is still lingering around.
This is the last time I had to use cookie sheets to roast a chicken,
I'm a grown up now,
I have a ROASTING PAN!
Thanks Candy and Dug!
LOVE IT!
Pictures of my beautiful steel clad roasting pan are coming soon...
Stay tuned.
ENJOY!

Thyme Roasted Chickens with Potatoes
3lbs new red potatoes, halved or quartered
3 T olive oil
S&P
1/4 cup fresh thyme leaves or 1 T dried
2 whole chickens (31/2 to 4 lbs each) rinsed and patted dry

Preheat oven to 450.  Toss potatoes on a large rimmed baking sheet or ROASTING PAN with 2 T oil, 1 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper.
Combine thyme, 2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper, toss to blend.  Remove giblits and livers from chicken cavities.  Working from neck end of chickens, gently separate skin from flesh with your fingertips, including thigh and leg areas. (this always makes me feel barbaric).  Rub thyme mixture under skin of each chicken, dividing evenly; season generously with additional salt and pepper.  Tuck wings under breasts, using kitchen twine, tie legs together securely on top of chickens.  (I did not do this...my chicken was still delicious!)
Nestle chickens breast sides up, among potatoes; rub chickens with remaining T oil, dividing evenly, and season with S&P.
(I ended up moving potatoes to a separate pan with the asparagus because they were cooking way faster than the chicken).
Roast tossing potatoes occasionally and basting chicken with pan juices, until thermometer reads 165, about 1 hour.
I put the pan with the taters and asparagus in the oven when the chicken had about 20-25 min left to cook.
The asparagus is just trimmed and tossed with about 1T olive oil, salt and pepper and topped with a little Parmesan.

Paige Rating: ***
(It was delicious, but nothing special, just a staple meal)
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK! PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT!