Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

*All recipes on this blog (unless otherwise noted) are Martha Stewart's from the Everyday Food Cookbooks here and here, they are not my own. If other than this I will post links to the recipes or indicate that they are originals*

Monday, March 28, 2011

Fishy soup

I wasn't 100% sure about this soup...
the thought of fish in a soup was a little worrisome to me.
While I LOVE clam chowder...fish chowder was definitely a foreign concept.
But I must say it was really good.
Fairly easy to make
and provided plenty of leftovers.
So it pretty much met all of my requirements for a good meal.
The clam juice was a little odd, but it tasted great in the soup.
Just don't smell it before putting it in, 
might weird you out.
I learned that the hard way.
I've had this 3 times as leftovers...still good, but I think I'm getting close to turning into a fish.
Good thing its almost gone.
ENJOY!

Manhattan Fish Chowder
4 slices bacon (4oz) cut crosswise into 1/2 in pieces
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 carrots, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
S&P
1 can whole peeled tomatoes in juice (28oz)
2 cups clam juice
1 1/2 cups water
2 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2 in cubes
2 tsp fresh thyme leaves (1/2 tsp dried)
1 lb skinless tilapia fillets, cut into 2 inch pieces

In a large pot, cook bacon over medium low heat until browned and crisp, stirring occasionally, 8-10 minutes.  Spoon off all but 1 T rendered fat.
Add onion and carrots, season with S&P.  Cook stirring occasionally until vegetables are softened, about 10 min.
Break up tomatoes with kitchen shears or your hands (in the can), then add to pan along with their juice.  Add clam juice and the water, bring to a boil.  Add potatoes and thyme; reduce heat to a simmer. Cook (uncovered) until potatoes are tender when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife but not falling apart, 15-20 min.
Add tilapia; cover and cook until the fish is opaque, about 3 min.  Season with S&P. 
Serves 6. 

Paige Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK! PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT!