Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

*All recipes on this blog (unless otherwise noted) are Martha Stewart's from the Everyday Food Cookbooks here and here, they are not my own. If other than this I will post links to the recipes or indicate that they are originals*

Monday, August 9, 2010

Marathon Meal!

Ok so maybe this doesn't look like a marathon of a meal to you, but it was!  I felt the time crunch and I may have tackled a bit too much, but it turned out great.  We had somewhere to be at 6, but I decided at about quarter to five that I MUST make this meal that I had planned.  I guess it's the neurotic blogger in me.  Anyway, so I started, not realizing what i was getting myself into and about an hour later I was quickly snapping photos for the blog while Logan was shoving his face! :)  I think this was the fastest and most efficient I have ever been in the kitchen, we even managed an entire cleanup before heading out the door.  SUCCESS!  Anyway, while it was stressful and we probably weren't able to enjoy it to the fullest, this was an awesome meal.  Kudos again to you Martha, this woman just can't go wrong.  :)
So this meal consisted of three parts, rum glazed shrimp and mango, bok choy slaw and the most amazing grilled sweet potatoes on the face of this earth!  I'm telling you they are AMAZING!  I have discovered a new grilling side and it will be a new staple of mine from now on.  You are actually supposed to toss the sweet potatoes in butter and cut them up a bit with a spoon after they come off the grill, but Logan loved them so much right off the grill he refused to allow me to tamper with them any further.  I guess the man knows what he wants.
Well enjoy these recipes, we are now well on our way to being done with 100!!!!  So lets see that puts the end of this challenge at about...2 more years!  hahaha I WILL DO IT!

Rum Glazed Shrimp and Mango
1/4 cup plus 1 T fresh lime juice (3 limes)
1/4 cup dark rum
3 T dark brown sugar
1 T fresh ginger
1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
32 medium shrimp
S&P
1 ripe but firm mango, peeled and sliced lengthwise into 8 slivers
2 T vegetable oil
2 bunches watercress ( I skipped this)

Make glaze; combine 1/4 cup lime juice with rum sugar and ginger in a saucepan, bring to a boil over high heat.  Reduce to simmer, whisking occasionally until slightly thickened, about  3 min.  In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and 1 T water; stir into lime mixture, cook about 30 sec, until thickened.  Remove from heat and let cool.
Thread shrimp onto 8 skewers.  Season with S&P.  Thread mango slices onto 4 skewers.  Brush all over with glaze.


Heat grill to medium high, oil grates.  Place shrimp and mango on the grill; cook turning once, until blackened on spots and shrimp is opaque throughout, 3-4 min.  


In a large bowl, whisk together remaining lime juice with 2 T oil, season with S&P, toss with watercress.
Serves 4.
 Logan Rating: ***

Grilled Sweet Potatoes with Scallions
3 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut lengthwise into 1/2 in pieces
3 T olive oil
1 tsp dried thyme
1.4 tsp cayenne pepper
S&P
2 T butter
2 scallions thinly sliced

Heat a grill to medium.  Toss sweet potatoes with olive oil, thyme and cayenne pepper; season with salt and pepper.


Grill the potatoes, turning frequently, until tender when pierced with the tip of a paring knife, 20 to 30 min. 
Return the grilled potatoes to the bowl; add the butter, and break the potatoes into large pieces with side of a spoon.  Toss in the scallions, and serve.
Serves 4.  

Logan Rating: *****

Bok Choy, Carrot and Apple Slaw
1 lb baby bok choy ( I had regular), halved lengthwise
S&P
1 apple, peeled and cut into matchsticks
2 large carrots, shredded
3 T fresh lemon juice
1 T vegetable oil
1 tsp fresh ginger

Rinse the bok choy under cold water to remove grit.  Cut crosswise into thin strips; place in a large colander, and sprinkle with 1 tsp salt.  Toss to coat.  Top with a plate that fits inside the colander, weight with a heavy object.  Set aside in sink to drain.


In a large bowl, mix apple, carrots, lemon juice, oil and ginger.  Add bok choy; season with salt and pepper.  Toss.
Serves 4.



Logan Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK! PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT!