Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

*All recipes on this blog (unless otherwise noted) are Martha Stewart's from the Everyday Food Cookbooks here and here, they are not my own. If other than this I will post links to the recipes or indicate that they are originals*

Friday, August 6, 2010

Lost blog...black beans and rice.

I was just going through the recipes I have done in my cook books and realized that I forgot to blog a recipe.  This was about a month ago, when a good friend was in town and I totally forgot to take pictures.  Therefore I also forgot to blog it!  Anyway I really wanted to get this recipe up here to make sure my count is accurate, have to make sure I get credit for EVERY recipe! :)  Anyway this was an awesome recipe!  I have never heard of putting beets in black beans and rice, but this was such a refreshing delicious meal.  If you love beans and rice you have to try this recipe.  I know I will be making this again.  ENJOY!

Brazilian Black Beans
3 medium beets, scrubbed and trimmed
1 bag (1lb) dried black beans, rinsed
S&P
2 garlic cloves
2 T vegetable oil
1 scallion, trimmed and thinly sliced
1/2 cup packed chopped cilantro
cooked rice and lime wedges for serving
shredded cheddar cheese for garnish

In a dutch oven or heavy 5 qt pot combine beats, beans and enough water to cover; season with S&P.  Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook, uncovered, until beets are tender when pierced with a knife, about 45 min to an hour.  (add more water as needed to keep covered)
Transfer beets to a bowl; when cool enough to handle, rub off skins with paper towels, then cut into dice.  Continue to cook beans until tender, about 1 hour more, pour off any excess liquid.
On a cutting board, finely chop garlic and sprinkle with salt.  Using a chefs knife, press flat side of blade back and forth across garlic to make a paste.  In a small skillet, heat oil over medium; add garlic paste, scallion and cilantro.  Cook about 2-4 min.
Stir scallion mixture into beans; cook over medium about 5 min to allow flavors to meld.
Serve beans and beets over rice, with lime wedges.  Garnish each portion with cheese, scallions and cilantro.  (sour cream is really good too).

Logan Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK! PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT!