Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

*All recipes on this blog (unless otherwise noted) are Martha Stewart's from the Everyday Food Cookbooks here and here, they are not my own. If other than this I will post links to the recipes or indicate that they are originals*

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Summer Rice Salad

Ok no more party food, back to regular food again.
Do you like curry?
Then you HAVE to make this salad.
I know it sounds weird, a cold curried rice salad.
But I'm telling you it is SO good. 
I could eat it EVERY day,
but I would probably turn into a curried rice ball.
And that would just be weird.
 Please try this salad, I'm telling you its delicious. 
And don't skip the mint, because it really helps make the flavor profile complete.
I don't really know what a flavor profile is, but it sounded good, right?
I served it with a chicken breast for dinner and then ate it by itself for lunch one day.
And then it was gone...
so sad.
I will make it again soon though, and so should you!
ENJOY!

Curried Rice Salad
2 T olive oil
1 T curry powder
1 cup long grain brown rice, rinsed well
2 1/2 cups water
S&P
1/4 cup fresh lime juice 
1 cup halved red seedless grapes
1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh mint
1/2 cup coarsely chopped roasted unsalted cashews

In a med saucean, heat 1 T oil over med high.  Add curry powder; cook stirring 30 seconds.  Stir in rice and the water; season with salt and pepper.  Bring to a boil; reduce heat.  Cover; simmer until rice is tender and has absorbed all liquid, about 1 hour.  Remove from heat; let stand, covered 10 min.
Fluff with a fork; transfer to a shallow bowl.  Stir in lime juice and remaining tablespoon oil; season with salt and pepper.  Cover loosely with plastic wrap; refrigerate until cool. about 1 hour.  Just before serving, stir in grapes, mint, and cashews.
Serves 6.

Logan Rating: ***
(Paige says 5 stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK! PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT!