Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

*All recipes on this blog (unless otherwise noted) are Martha Stewart's from the Everyday Food Cookbooks here and here, they are not my own. If other than this I will post links to the recipes or indicate that they are originals*

Monday, June 13, 2011

Childhood throwback

No, you are not dreaming.
Yes that is EXACTLY what you think it is.
Homemade ice cream sandwiches.
I know what you're thinking
why would I make homemade ice cream sandwiches?
When I can buy perfectly good ones?
Um, because you are amazing,
and it is easy
and you want to impress your friends.
DUH!
I'm not lying, I never do, you know that.
These are WAY easier than I would have ever expected 
and they were quite the little crowd pleasers.
I want to share a secret with you, that made this MUCH easier in my opinion.
The recipe says to make one sheet of cake and slice it in half.
But when I made mine, I used a little bit of a larger cookie sheet and 
it looked way too thin for me to even attempt to slice in half
without ending up with a pile of cake mixed with ice cream.
So I just made another one.
You should do the same, why not, who doesn't love MORE cake?
Boring people that's who...and you aren't one of them! 
So don't take my word for this one, MAKE THESE!
ENJOY!

Classic Ice Cream Sandwiches
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted, plus more for pan
1/2 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp pure vanilla extract 
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 pints ice cream (any flavor) softened slightly

Preheat oven to 350.  Butter a 10x15 in rimmed baking sheet; line with parchment paper, leaving a 2inch overhang on the two shorter sides.
Whisk together butter and sugar.
whisk in egg, vanilla and salt until combined.
Add flour and cocoa, and mix just until smooth. 
 Spread in prepared pan, smoothing top.
Bake until cake is dry to the touch and edges begin to pull away from the sides, 10-12 min.  Cool completely in pan.
Using paper overhang, lift cake onto a work surface.  With a serrated knife halve crosswise.  (Depending on how much you spread your cake out, this may work for you).
  
Place on half of cake flat side down, on a large piece of plastic wrap.  Spread with ice cream, smoothing with an offset spatula, then top with remaining half of cake, cut side down. 
(This is the hardest part, in my opinion, because the ice cream is melty but still a little hard to spread.  Just do your best and don't panic)
Return assembled dessert to baking pan, and wrap tightly in plastic.  Freeze until firm, about 2 hrs.
Unwrap; using a serrated knife, cut into 8 rectangles, wiping blade with a damp kitchen towel between each slice.  Serve immediately or freeze wrapped in individual plastic. ( I would freeze a little, before serving, so they can set).

Logan Rating:  ***
(he's crazy)
5 stars from me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK! PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT!