Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

*All recipes on this blog (unless otherwise noted) are Martha Stewart's from the Everyday Food Cookbooks here and here, they are not my own. If other than this I will post links to the recipes or indicate that they are originals*

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Herbed Chicken and Balsamic Potatoes

As promised a real blog post!
These 2 recipes are from the "Light" version of the Everyday Food collection, which I am becoming more and more obsessed with the more I use it.  All of the recipes are less than 500 calories and none of them taste like it.  Its exactly how i like to cook, all the taste, without all the guilt!
So this herb butter chicken I paired with the balsamic potatoes and I also made some rolls to go with it.
As if the potatoes weren't enough carbs.
The recipe calls for chicken cutlets, but I had trouble finding some at the store(weird I know) so I simply split chicken breasts in half, and it worked perfectly.  The reason you don't want to use the whole chicken breasts is because they would take too long to cook as they are much thicker than the cutlets.  And this chicken recipe really is all about quick cooking time, but gourmet flavor.
The potatoes are so incredibly simple, but unlike the chicken, they do require quite a long cooking time. In fact mine were a little crunchier than they should have been since I didn't allow for enough time. (SHAME SHAME)
I originally planned on making this for just Logan and I (as usual), but then we had some impromptu friends over.  Well the friends weren't impromptu, but the gathering was.
And this was perfect for a dinner for 4, we had 2 cutlets leftover and that was it.
And unless my guests were lying to me in order to not hurt my feelings, 
Everyone LOVED it!
So have some friends over and make this meal, they will love you for it!
ENJOY!

Chicken Cutlets with Herb Butter
1/4 cup all purpose flour
8 thin chicken cutlets
S&P
2 T olive oil
3/4 cup dry white wine
2 T cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
3 T finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (YUCK) or mint
(or a combo of both)
*I used oregano and thyme

Place flour in a shallow dish.  Pat dry chicken, then season with S&P and dredge in flour to coat.
In a large skillet, heat 1 T oil over med-high heat.  Working in batches, cook chicken until browned, 1-3 minutes per side, adding more oil to skillet as needed.
Transfer each batch of chicken to a plate and tent loosely with foil to keep warm.
Add wine and accumulated juices from chicken to skillet and bring to a boil.  Cook until liquid has reduced by half, about 4 min.  Return chicken to skillet and turn to coat. 
Remove skillet from heat and swirl in butter and herbs. ( I took the chicken out again and then drizzled the sauce over the top once plate, just seemed easier since the chicken didn't all fit well in the pan).
Season with S&P.  Serve Immediately.
Serves 4.

Balsamic-Baked Potatoes
1 1/2 lbs small potatoes, scrubbed and halved or quartered
( I only had russets, so I chopped them up fairly small to decrease baking time, didn't work that well)
3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
8 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
5 sprigs thyme
S&P

Preheat oven to 425. In a 8in square baking dish, combine potatoes, brother, vinegar, garlic, and thyme; season with S&P.  
Bake until potatoes are tender (whoops) and liquite is reduced to a glaze, about 1 1/4 hours (oops), tossing twice.
Serves 4.
















Logan Rating: ****


3 comments:

  1. Looks like the perfect party. I putting this in my party menu box.

    I never heard of anyone that did not care for parsley, ever. I thought they reserved that for cilantro.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! I think I am one of the rare few that is just not a fan of fresh parsley, no idea where it came from. I absolutely love cilantro though :)

      Delete
  2. Correction. I will be putting this in my party menu box.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK! PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT!