Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

*All recipes on this blog (unless otherwise noted) are Martha Stewart's from the Everyday Food Cookbooks here and here, they are not my own. If other than this I will post links to the recipes or indicate that they are originals*

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Grilled lamb

Does this look appetizing to all of you?
I love rare meat...I don't know why...there is just something about it.
Maybe its the animalistic side of me coming out...or maybe it is just delicious.
Or maybe BOTH!
Anyway this lamb had an AWESOME rub, that gave it so much flavor, without over powering the taste of the meat itself.
Oh my so delicious.
Plus you just can't go wrong this time of year when you grill.
Everything taste better on the grill in my opinion.
So this was served with some grilled lemons and a lemon orzo...sounds really lemony, but it was perfect!
This recipe calls for a butterlied leg of lamb, but I did not buy a leg of lamb
because they are $30...and that is just NUTS! 
So instead I bought lamb shoulder, and it was just as good as I expect the leg would have been.
I think I bough shoulder...I can't really remember now if I'm being honest.  
Onto the food...you must try this one!
ENJOY!

Spiced Butterflied Leg of Lamb
2 T olive oil
1 T coriander seeds, crushed
1 T fennel seeds, crushed
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
S&P
1 1/2 lbs butterflied leg of lamb
oil for grill
2 lemons, quartered

In a shallow dish, combine olive oil, coriander, fennel seeds, red pepper flakes, 1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper.
Add lamb, and turn to coat.  Marinate at room temp for 30 min or overnight in the fridge.
Heat grill to med low, lightly oil grates.  Place lamb on grill. Cover and cook until thermometer reads 130 degrees for medium-rare, 6-8 min per side.  (remember to adjust the cooking time for different cuts of meat). Transfer lamb to a plate and cover loosely with foil; let rest 5 min.
Meanwhile, grill lemon wedges until cut sides are marked, about 1 min per side.
Thinly slice lamb and serve with grilled lemon wedges and orzo.

Lemon Orzo
1 lemon
S&P
1 cup orzo
1 T olive oil 
2 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced

Use vegetable peeler to remove peel from half the lemon in wide strips (leaving the bitter white pith behind).  
Thinly slice peel with a sharp knife.  Halve lemon and squeeze 2 T of juice out.
Bring a large saucepan of water to boil; add generous amount of salt.  Add orzo and lemon peel.  Cook until orzo is al dente; drain and return to pan.
Add lemon juice, oil and scallions.
Season with S&P and toss to combine.  Serve warm or at room temp.
Serves 4.

Logan Rating: ****

1 comment:

I LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK! PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT!