Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

*All recipes on this blog (unless otherwise noted) are Martha Stewart's from the Everyday Food Cookbooks here and here, they are not my own. If other than this I will post links to the recipes or indicate that they are originals*

Monday, July 25, 2011

Homemade Bagels!!!

While this is not part of the challenge, I had to share these with you!  
Look at those babies!
I know what your thinking...
"you're crazy"!
And yes, I am a little crazy, but I promise you these are SO easy!
They are a tad time consuming, just because you have to let the dough rise to ensure you get nice puffy doughy delicious bagels.
BUT they are not hard and they do not require a ton of hands on time.
You will be amazed.  You are saying "pfff" to the computer screen right now,
"yeah right Paige, homemade bagels, easy, I don't believe you".
Well BELIEVE It!  And don't take my word for it, try it yourself.
We made sea salt bagels as well as sesame bagels.
I will try mixing things into the dough next time, such as sun dried tomatoes, caramelized onions, and maybe even jalapenos and some cheese. 
Oh the possibilities...they are endless.
I got the recipe from this book, which I love by the way.
I plan to make many more bready things in the future from this lovely book.

Bagels
4 1/2 cups strong white flour 
2 T sugar
1 tsp salt
1 1/4 tsp fast action dried yeast
1 1/4 cup water
1 egg yolk, to glaze
3 T poppy or sesame seeds ( or any other topping you like)

Put the flour, 1 T of sugar, slat and yeast into a large bowl.  Gradually mix in enough warm water to make a soft dough.
Knead on a lightly floured surface for 5 min (I just mix it in my kitchenaid mixer with the dough hook), until dough is smooth and elastic then put back into the bowl.  Cover loosely with oiled cling wrap and leave in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
Tip the dough out on to a lightly floured surface, knead well (I just do a few turns) and then cut into 10 equal pieces.  Shape each into a ball then make a hole in the center using a well floured finger.  Enlarge the hole by adding a second finger and moving your fingers round and round.
Transfer bagels to 2 baking sheets, sprayed with non stick spray, cover again loosely with oiled cling wrap and leave to rise in a warm place for 30 min more.
When the bagels are nearly ready pour 8 cups water into a large saucepan, add remaining sugar and bring to a boil.   Carefully lower bagels one at a time into the boiling water for 1-2 min each side.  Lift the bagels out of the water with a slotted spoon and put them back on the baking sheets to drain.
Transfer to greased baking sheets and brush with egg yolk mixed with 1 T water and sprinkle with topping.  Bake in a 400 degree oven for 12-15 min.  Let cool.
MAKES 10

Here's what my bagel making station looked like!





















No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK! PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT!