Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

*All recipes on this blog (unless otherwise noted) are Martha Stewart's from the Everyday Food Cookbooks here and here, they are not my own. If other than this I will post links to the recipes or indicate that they are originals*

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

I like some Jerks

This is the kind of Jerk I like!
Not the jerk that cuts me off in traffic and then gives me the finger...
no not that one.
THIS ONE!
Jerk chicken!
I'm so very sorry for the lack of pictures,
but one of my best friends in the WHOLE world was visiting and we gabbed way too much!
Which is evident by the lack of pictures as well as the very very charred potatoes.
Cooking was sort of secondary to chatting and wine drinking.
After all we don't see each other, but a few times a year!
Her fiance was also here with her, THANKFULLY, because he likes burnt food.
And I'm telling you most of those potatoes were inedible to most people. 
Other than the potatoes I think they enjoyed this meal, 
we definitely enjoyed their company! :)
Along with the burnt potatoes, I served this with a watermelon/cucumber salad, which was divine.
First time I've ever had salt and pepper in my fruit...delicious...not weird I SWEAR!
If you are a jerk, or you know a jerk or you've ever encountered a jerk,
make this chicken...I'm telling you it is delicious!
And it may make you reconsider how you feel about certain JERKS!
ENJOY!

Jerk Chicken
1 bunch scallions, trimmed and finely chopped (1.5 cups)
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 jalapeno chile, finely chopped
2 T fresh lime juice
2 T olive oil
1 T light brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon 
coarse salt
2 T water
8 pieces bone in skin on chicken (drums and thighs)
*I used breasts
oil for grill

In a blender combine scallions, garlic, jalapeno, lime juice, olive oil. brown sugar, allspice, thyme, cinnamon, 1 tsp salt and the water; blend until smooth.  Reserve 1/4 cup for brushing.
Place chicken in a shallow dish or resealable bag; season all over with salt.  Pour marinade over chicken; toss to coat.  Cover (seal); refrigerate, turning once or twice at least 2 hours or up to overnight. 
Heat grill to med-high, lightly oil grates.  Lift chicken from marinade, letting excess drip off (discard marinade); place on grill, and cover.  Cook, turning occasionally, until chicken is blackened in spots, about 10 min. 
Move chicken to a cooler part of the grill; brush with reserved marinade.  Cover and grill until chicken is cooked through, 10-15 min more.  
Serves 4

 Cucumber and Watermelon Salad
1 english cucumber, peeled and cut into 1/2 in cubes
1 small seedless watermelon cut into 1/2 in cubes
3 T fresh lime juice
coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
In a large bowl, toss cucumber and watermelon with lime juice, 3/4 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper (or to taste).  
Serves 4

Logan Rating: ****

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK! PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT!