Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

*All recipes on this blog (unless otherwise noted) are Martha Stewart's from the Everyday Food Cookbooks here and here, they are not my own. If other than this I will post links to the recipes or indicate that they are originals*

Saturday, July 23, 2011

More summer food...Summer slaw!

Oh my gosh do I love SUMMER!  
This is what I did on this lovely Saturday Morning...
Slept in
Woke up
Made coffee
Let dog out
Decided what to make for breakfast
made this...
(German Pancakes) 
Recipe here
OMG GOOD!
And then made tea and set it out to steep. (pictured above)
Did I mention it is absolutely beautiful here??
While the rest of the U.S. is battling through a major heat wave,
us Montanans well we are basking in our non humid beautiful climate...
not that I'm rubbing it in Minnesotans! :)
Lovely Sat Morning...
Now I have to study, not so lovely Sat afternoon! :(

But first I would like to share a recipe with you
this is a new fresh twist on a summer slaw.
Made with bok choy instead of american cabbage...its a great way to mix it up a bit.  
Logan was a huge fan, he loves ginger and the ginger really makes this recipe.  
For all of you that are suffering with 120 degree heat indexes...stir this baby up.
And serve it with something that does not involve turning on your oven. :)
ENJOY!

Bok Choy, Carrot and Apple Slaw
1 lb baby bok choy (regular bok choy is all my store had)
S&P
1 apple, peeled and cut into matchsticks
2 large carrots, shredded
3 T fresh lemon juice
1 T vegetable oil
1 tsp finely grated peeled fresh ginger

Rinse the bok choy under cold water to remove grit.
Cut crosswise into thin strips; place in a large colander, and sprinkle with 1 tsp salt.  Toss to coat.  Top with a plate that fits inside the colander; weight with a heavy object, like a skillet with canned goods (or a growler full of beer, my personal fave).  Set in sink to drain.
In a large bowl, mix apple, carrots, lemon juice, oil and ginger.
Add bok choy; season with salt and pepper, toss.  *Remember you already salted the bok choy, so don't have a heavy hand with the salt...or you'll be sorry and adding sugar to try to compensate.  What? I didn't do that...oh wait...I DID! Whoops!  You will learn from my mistakes! :)
Serves 4.
Logan Rating: ****

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK! PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT!