Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

*All recipes on this blog (unless otherwise noted) are Martha Stewart's from the Everyday Food Cookbooks here and here, they are not my own. If other than this I will post links to the recipes or indicate that they are originals*

Saturday, April 9, 2011

No asparagus?!?

How does a grocery store run out of asparagus?
Not THAT many people even eat it.
Did one person go to Safeway and clean out the asparagus supply,
I hate you, asparagus hoarder!
Anyway I was supposed to make cream of asparagus soup, but once arriving at the store and discovering that apparently it was national eat asparagus day, I had to find a new plan.
Thank God for smart phones!
I have been craving broccoli cheese soup for quite sometime, but always feel guilty eating it...
all that cream and cheese, not good for my "diet". 
Anyway, I found an awesome lightened up recipe here.
While it doesn't count towards this challenge, I had to share it with you all, because
I'm telling you it was amazing...you must try it!
I paired it with an actual challenge recipe, which was also super delicious,
goat cheese is a newly discovered love of mine.

Crisp Goat Cheese Salad
1/2 cup olive oil +more for baking sheet
3 large red potatoes
1 large egg
S&P
1 1/2 cups plain breadcrumbs
1 log fresh goat cheese (12 oz)
1 T white wine vinegar
1 T grainy or dijon mustard
8 oz mixed greens

Heat broiler, brush baking sheet with oil; set aside.  Place potatoes in a med saucepan, cover with cold water, and bring to a boil.  Simmer just until fork tender, 20-25 min.  Rinse the potatoes under cold water until cool enough to handle, and cut into 1 inch chunks.
In a shallow bowl, whisk egg with 1/4 tsp of each salt and pepper.  Place breadcrumbs in another bowl.  Slice goat cheese into 8 rounds and pat each into a disk about 1/2 in thick.  (it may be necessary to freeze the cheese in order to slice it...I didn't).  
Dip the disks in egg and then breadcrumbs.  Place on prepared baking sheet.
In a large bowl whisk together the vinegar, mustard, and 1/4 tsp each of salt and pepper.  Slowly add 1/4 cup of oil, whisking to emulsify.  Set aside.
Brush disks lightly with remaining 1/4 cup oil ( I did not do this, I sprayed them with pam, worked great).  Broil until golden and crisp, about 5 min. (might take less time, watch them closely.)

Toss the greens and potatoes in the dressing.  Divide the salad among 4 plates and top each with 2 cheese disks.
Serves 4.

Here are pics of the soup.

Paige Rating: **** (For the salad)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK! PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT!