Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

*All recipes on this blog (unless otherwise noted) are Martha Stewart's from the Everyday Food Cookbooks here and here, they are not my own. If other than this I will post links to the recipes or indicate that they are originals*

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Epic Phyllo Fail

The end product doesn't look too bad, does it? 
Thank God it turned out...but I had my fair share of doubts and temper tantrums.
I forgot to take the phyllo out of the freezer...ok ok so I know its my fault, but I'm still allowed to complain, right?
Anyway I thought maybe I could "defrost" it on top of the oven while it was preheating.
Not so much...this was the result.
Epic Fail!
Phyllo is hard enough to work with when its fully defrosted. 
But I prevailed and just threw pieces of phyllo together...thank goodness it tasted GREAT!
I loved it...even though I also forgot to add the peas.
Obviously I was struggling this night...
But I promise this is a great tasting recipe and you should definitely out due me in the presentation department! 
ENJOY!

Lighter Chicken Potpie
2 bone in skin on chicken breasts (I used boneless, skinless)
S&P
3 T olive oil
4 carrots, sliced into 1/4 in thick pieces
1 onion, finely chopped
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 1/2 cups milk
1 package (10oz) frozen peas, thawed
2T fresh lemon juice
6 frozen phyllo sheets (each 12x17) THAWED!

Preheat the oven to 400.  Place chicken on a rimmed baking sheet; season both sides with S&P.  Roast until chicken reaches 165 degrees, 20-30 min.  Let cool; slightly; remove skin and bones and shred meat.
While chicken is roasting, heat 2 T oil in a large saucepan over med.  Add carrots, onion and thyme; season with salt and pepper.  Cook until carrots are tender, stirring occasionally, 8-10 min.
Add flour; cook, stirring one min.
Gradually add milk, whisking until smooth.  Cook, stirring occasionally until mixture comes to a simmer and thickens, about 6 min.
Remove from heat; stir in peas, lemon juice and chicken and season with S&P.  our filling into a 9 inch round baking dish or deep dish pie plate.
Stack phyllo on a work surface.  Using a plate or pot lid as a guide, cut an 11 in round from the stack with a paring knife, discard trimmings.  Stack two rounds on work surface, and brush gently with 1 tsp oil; top with another two rounds and brush with 1 tsp oil.  Repeat with remaining two rounds and 1 tsp oil.  Place stacked phyllo over filling and press down about 1/2 in from the edge so phyllo fits inside rim of baking dish, with edges sticking straight up around rim.
Bake until crust is lightly golden and filling is bubbling, 20-25 min.  Let cool 15 min before cutting and serving.
Serves 4.

Logan Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK! PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT!