Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

*All recipes on this blog (unless otherwise noted) are Martha Stewart's from the Everyday Food Cookbooks here and here, they are not my own. If other than this I will post links to the recipes or indicate that they are originals*

Monday, July 19, 2010

Greek Kebabs

Ok this dish I actually made just last week, so we are getting closer to the present, which is a good thing.  This is a very delicious summer meal...I feel like I say that a lot in this blog, but its true.  Its a super light and yet very filling yummy meal.  I was surprised at how much I liked the mint-feta sauce that accompanied the kebabs and really how can you go wrong with a kebab?  They are just the easiest best summer grilling in my opinion.  So this was a greek take on kebabs and it was wonderful.  Logan and I both thoroughly enjoyed it.  And despite the marinating and rice cooking time this was a quick and simple meal.  You do have to account for those two things however, when planning this dinner.  I absolutely love grilled onions so next time I'd probably use more onion, so if you share that love GO FOR IT.  I also used brown rice, because well we all know its better for us...I try not to use white things...not that I'm discriminating or anything, hopefully the white rice doesn't feel bad. :)  Alright everyone, really this is awesome, so give it a try.  AND DON'T SKIMP, you must make the sauce, because it totally makes this dish!
ENJOY!

Grilled Greek Chicken Kebabs with Mint Feta Sauce
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1 in pieces
1 zucchini, halved lengthwise, cut into 1 in pieces
1/2 small red onion, quartered lengthwise, layers separated
2 T olive oil
1 tsp dried oregano 
3 T red wine vinegar
S&P
oil for grill
1/2 cup crumbled feta
1/4 cup plain yogurt
1 cup packed fresh mint 

In a resealable bag, combine chicken, zucchini, onion, olive oil, oregano and 2 T vinegar; season with S&P.  Marinate at room temp for about 30 min, or put in fridge overnight.  

Heat grill to medium, lightly oil grates.  Put chicken, zucchini and onion onto skewers, grill turning occasionally until chicken is cooked through, about 12-14 min.

To make sauce, blend feta, yogurt, mint and remaining T vinegar in a food processor until smooth.


Lemon and Pine-nut Rice
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup long grain white rice
S&P
1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
1 T olive oil
1/2 tsp finely grated lemon zest, plus 1 T lemon juice

Bring water to boil, add rice, season with S&P; return to a boil.  Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until rice is tender, 15-17 min.  Remove from heat and let stand, covered 5 min.
Fluff rice with a fork, then toss with pine nuts, oil, and lemon zest and juice.  Season with S&P.

Serves 4.

Logan Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK! PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT!