Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

*All recipes on this blog (unless otherwise noted) are Martha Stewart's from the Everyday Food Cookbooks here and here, they are not my own. If other than this I will post links to the recipes or indicate that they are originals*

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Classic Combination-Pork & Apples

Alright I'm staying on top of my blogging game, this meal was made LAST NIGHT...wahooo!  So this is the first part of pork two ways.  I decided to stretch the pork that I bought this week into two meals, great way to save money and so far a very delicious idea.  No I will not take all the credit for this great idea, it's actually in the cookbook!  Can you believe it?  This cookbook not only gives you delicious meals but money saving tips as well...that's right people and this is why it is my favorite!  The other thing that I love about this recipe is the way the pork is cooked, under the broiler.  Which is a really quick way to cook this meat and really exciting for me since I had anticipated a long time in the oven.  I looked at the recipe again and realized the meat only took about 20 min to cook, AMAZING!  And to prove that this meal really is quick and easy, I made it in about 30 min from start to finish right  before our second pre season kickball game!  You did read that correctly, ladies and gentlemen, Logan and I are now a part of a pretty kick ass kick ball team, which is aptly named "Kick your balls, say YEAH!".  We have yet to win, but our team spirit is awesome and we have a pretty awesome neon theme going.  I know you're just dying for a picture...so here you go...


Well now that I know you are all jealous, we can get back to the food! :)
While I felt like this was much more of a fall meal, Logan and I both enjoyed it thoroughly.  AND just as icing on the proverbial cake, I actually cooked the meat PERFECTLY, which is a pretty rare thing with pork, no pun intended.  It was a little pink in the very center, nice and tender, SUPER delicious!  This time the meat thermometer really did it right, I've learned to not always trust that thing.  And the leeks and apples on the side really couldn't be easier, just a simple sauté, which takes just about the same amount of time as the pork does to cook...how convenient.  Try this one out...I won't be offended if you wait till Sept or Oct...I'll probably make it again then when our apple trees are producing!
ENJOY!

Pork Tenderloin with Sautéed Apples and Leeks
2 pork tenderloins (about 1lb each)-only if you are going to use leftover for another recipe otherwise one tenderloin will do. 
 2 T olive oil 
S&P
2 leeks, white and light green parts only, halved lengthwise and cut into 1in pieces
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
3 gala apples, cored, halved lengthwise and then crosswise, cut into 1/4in pieces 
1 T honey
1 tsp red wine or sherry vinegar

Heat broiler, with rack set 4 in from heat source.  On a rimmed baking sheet rub pork with 1 T of oil; generously season with S&P.  Broil until thickest part registers 145, about 14-18 min.  Transfer pork to a plate.  Cover loosely with foil and let rest about 10 min, the internal temp will rise about 5 degrees during rest. 


Meanwhile heat remaining oil over medium heat, add leeks and fennel seeds; cook until leeks are tender, about 6 min.  Add apples and cook until just beginning to soften, 3-4 min.  Remove from heat and stir in honey and vinegar.  Season with S&P.  
Serves 4.


Looks pretty good right?  TRY IT!

Logan Rating: *****

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK! PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT!