Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

*All recipes on this blog (unless otherwise noted) are Martha Stewart's from the Everyday Food Cookbooks here and here, they are not my own. If other than this I will post links to the recipes or indicate that they are originals*

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Roasting weather

The time has come, finally, that I can turn on the oven without feeling guilty and going outside to take breaks from the ridiculous heat coming from my kitchen. 
In my house, I call this Roasting weather. 
From now until probably May I will be running my oven on about a daily basis. 
This time of year makes me happy! 
Because with cold weather comes amazing food, roasted, baked, broiled, etc.
So I started off this season with some Cornish game hens.
Aren't they adorable? 
I'm not really sure what they are, but they are so tiny, I love tiny things!
They were perfect little personal size birds and I served them with some garlic mashed potatoes.
And while the grapes were odd, they were so delicious, added a great sweet flavor to this otherwise savory recipe.  Loved it!  It was delicious, and very Fall like.
So turn on your ovens and get to roasting!
ENJOY

Roasted Cornish Hens with Grapes
1 1/2 lbs mixed red and green seedless grapes
8 shallots, root end intact halved if large (i diced mine, whoops)
6 sprigs thyme, plus additional leaves for hens
2 T olive oil
S&P
4 cornish game hens (1- 1/4 lbs each)

Preheat oven to 450.  On a rimmed baking sheet, toss grapes and shallots with the thyme, olive oil, 1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. 
Tie the legs with kitchen twine (i did not do this), nestle hens among the grapes on the baking sheet, breast side up.  Season the hens generously with S&P, sprinkle with thyme leaves.
Roast, basting the hens occasionally with the pan juices, until a thermometer reads 160 degrees, about 35 minutes.  
Serves 4.

Logan Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK! PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT!