Foodbuzz

Search This Blog

*All recipes on this blog (unless otherwise noted) are Martha Stewart's from the Everyday Food Cookbooks here and here, they are not my own. If other than this I will post links to the recipes or indicate that they are originals*

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Sweet and Savory Pasta

YUM YUM YUMMMMM!
I'm thinking about the leftovers from this dish that are calling my name from the fridge right now.
In fact, I don't think I can stand it, I must heat them up and eat them for lunch...I can't wait.
Anyway this is a traditional combination in Sicilian cooking and it really worked for me.
I subbed out the pine nuts for some chopped almonds, because that is what I had on hand.
I think they did the trick.

The combo of the savory sausage, with the slight bitterness of the chard and the crunch of the nuts topped off with the sweetness of the raisins...oh my gosh, it was DEVINE.
I know it sounds weird
I know I ask you to trust me a lot, but really
TRUST ME!
Try this one, it is surprisingly summery and refreshing.
Very light and perfectly delicious. 
ENJOY!

Pasta with Sausage, Swiss Chard, and Pine Nuts
3/4 cup raisins
S&P
1 lb gemelli or other short pasta shape
1 T olive oil
12 oz sweet italian sausage, casings removed
1 lb swiss chard, tough stems removed, leaves cut into thin strips
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup pine nutes, toasted
1/4 cup finely grated parmesan, plus more for serving.

Bring a pot of water to boil.  Measure out 1 cup boiling water and pour over raisins in a small dish.
Let soak until plump, about 15 min, then drain.
While raisins are soaking, add a generous amount of salt to the pot of boiling water; cook pasta until al dente.  
 Reserve 1 cup of pasta water, drain pasta and return to pot.
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium high.  Cook sausage, breaking it up with a fork, until browned, about 5 minutes.
Add chard and garlic, and season with pepper, cook, tossing until chard wilts, 2-3 min.
Add sausage, mixture to pot along with raisins, pine nuts, parmesan and 1/2 cup reserved pasta water;  toss with pasta to combine. 
 Add enough additional pasta water to create a thin sauce to coat pasta.
Sprinkle with more cheese to serve.
Serves 4.

Logan Rating: ****

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE YOUR FEEDBACK! PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT!